Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 21 brass failure

mwf008

Well I had this happen to me on a G34 about 10 years ago. Case rupture, not KaBoom, blew out the mag release. No other damage. Looked at the remaining 150 rounds and found 7 with bullet setback. More than .100" shorter than the rest. Then took and smacked them all down 5 times and about 12 more went setback. It's a seetback issue, not double charge. And by the way, Irv Stone, BarSto, loaded a test barrel to 4 times over charge in a .45acp Glock, and it did not rupture or KaBoom. I then checked the remaining bullets when seating, and found several that almost 'dropped' into the case. Stopped loading that particular brand, and have never had an issue since then.

brand of bullets or cases?

miranda

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I had this happen to me on a G34 about 10 years ago. Case rupture, not KaBoom, blew out the mag release. No other damage. Looked at the remaining 150 rounds and found 7 with bullet setback. More than .100" shorter than the rest. Then took and smacked them all down 5 times and about 12 more went setback. It's a seetback issue, not double charge. And by the way, Irv Stone, BarSto, loaded a test barrel to 4 times over charge in a .45acp Glock, and it did not rupture or KaBoom. I then checked the remaining bullets when seating, and found several that almost 'dropped' into the case. Stopped loading that particular brand, and have never had an issue since then.

brand of bullets or cases?

miranda

all I can say is that is was not Montana Golds or Bayous, mixed range brass, but that is not an issue, the resizing die/decap is allways the same size. as is the powder drop die. The only thing that changes is the bullet diameter....

ok bullets.

I was not asking for the brand, just if your solution was the cases or bullets.

I've been trying to sort out my loading of 9mm and cast bullets.

copper jackets hold in every thing except the FC brass I have.

The lead bullets I have sized get shaved or squeezed except for the FC....

so I am thinking the cases can make a difference as well as the bullets.

Since I did the comparison and results above

I have read that the Lee FCD is not the die to use on Lead bullets.

comparing notes.

miranda

And by the way, Irv Stone, BarSto, loaded a test barrel to 4 times over charge in a .45acp Glock, and it did not rupture or KaBoom. I then checked the remaining bullets when seating, and found several that almost 'dropped' into the case. Stopped loading that particular brand, and have never had an issue since then.

I'm surprised nobody else has questioned this yet. What powder can even fit a 4x overcharge in a .45acp case? I just loaded some Titegroup and found that a mid level 230gr JHP load, 2x fits, 3x fits in the case without overflowing, but doesn't leave enough room to seat a bullet. If there's a powder that would fit a 4x charge, I suspect it would totally fill the case, pressure would be insane, and either the case or barrel would fail.

And by the way, Irv Stone, BarSto, loaded a test barrel to 4 times over charge in a .45acp Glock, and it did not rupture or KaBoom. I then checked the remaining bullets when seating, and found several that almost 'dropped' into the case. Stopped loading that particular brand, and have never had an issue since then.

I'm surprised nobody else has questioned this yet. What powder can even fit a 4x overcharge in a .45acp case? I just loaded some Titegroup and found that a mid level 230gr JHP load, 2x fits, 3x fits in the case without overflowing, but doesn't leave enough room to seat a bullet. If there's a powder that would fit a 4x charge, I suspect it would totally fill the case, pressure would be insane, and either the case or barrel would fail.

I can only assume he means 4x pressure, which can be reached with a double charge.