Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G35 spring question

syme71

I just started reloading, and not having access to a chronograph, decided to use one of the lighter loads to play it safe. I'm using 3.5 grs of Titegroup, loaded to 1.126 OAL.

I loaded 100 rounds today and tested at the range. All 100 functioned flawlessy and was noticeably more accurate than the factory loads I have been accustomed to.

I have the stock spring on my gun. Since I'm using such a light load, will going with a lighter spring do anything? Or should I leave it alone and just shoot?

If the gun is operating fine with the factory spring I would just shoot it that way.I reload 180gr. FMJ with 3.7 grn. of VVN320 at 1.135 OAL and it operates great with the factory recoil spring.It is nice to shoot with a lot less recoil and a lot more accurate than factory ammo. Ken

I run a G35 with a stock spring and rod.

I also use 3.5g of TG with 180's in my minor load (OAL a touch longer, at 1.130 - 1.135)

My spring is "well-used". Even so, it doesn't toss the brass very far. If I were to describe it, I'd say it almost throws the brass forward. If I were standing in a shooting box, all my brass would be within one step...forward and to the right....almost in the corner of the shooting box.

My gun runs 100%, but the brass does hover a bit between the sights when I do hard transitions to the right.

I am with TDean...3-5 feet would be best (meaning, I should put a lighter spring in my G35 when shooting minor).

To chime in from the lighter spring camp, the purpose and benefit in going to a lighter spring, is not necessarily for reliability, unless your shooting loads much lighter than the minor power factor floor, but in how the gun feels with the lighter spring. The lighter springs speed the slide speed up and some shooters like that better. Its the same reason many limited shooters use faster powders with 180 and 200 grain bullets. It quickens the recoil impulse, allowing them, in their opinion, to get the front back back on target quicker for subsequent shots. Try a 13 pound ISMI spring in your Glock and see how it feels. You might like it.

How far is your brass ejecting?

I'd feel comfortable with 3-5 feet.

TD, Flex,

I did notice that the majority of the brass was in laying in front of me (about 90%) when I went to clean up. I didn't get the sense it was ejecting far but didn't pay attention. I hope to make it back to the range this week and I'll watch for how far the brass is ejecting.

So if I understand this correctly, if brass is ejecting 3-5 feet, that means the load has enough "kick" that stovepiping is less likely to happen.

I have watched others in the club that I started shooting at and have wondered how close to the limit they are running their gun with brass just barely ejecting out of the port!

Thanks guys.

I run a G35 with a stock spring and rod.

I also use 3.5g of TG with 180's in my minor load (OAL a touch longer, at 1.130 - 1.135)

My spring is "well-used". Even so, it doesn't toss the brass very far. If I were to describe it, I'd say it almost throws the brass forward. If I were standing in a shooting box, all my brass would be within one step...forward and to the right....almost in the corner of the shooting box.

My gun runs 100%, but the brass does hover a bit between the sights when I do hard transitions to the right.

I am with TDean...3-5 feet would be best (meaning, I should put a lighter spring in my G35 when shooting minor).

Flex,

One other question. Since this is the first batch I've ever reloaded in my life, I'm assuming that it's normal to have a variance +/- .003 in OAL due to the variables in bullets? Does this much difference in OAL have a great effect on fps?

Also, do you run the slightly longer OAL for better bullet to rifling contact on the KKM?

Thanks again.

I usually list my loads as 1.135 (-0.005).

A 0.005 difference will have little effect.

I load it longer because it is a 40...and I don't like going short for fear of pressure. (FWIW)

Oh...the 0.003 difference that you see might not be just the bullets, but it could be the way the press runs. Again, likely not a big deal.