Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to clean out the powder measure

syme71

Finally got everything setup and started reloading today on my new 550. What do you do when you're done and you have powder remaining in the measure. I'm assuming that it's bad practice to leave it there so what's the easiest way to get it back into the storage container.

I did it the hard way - one pull at a time.

I all ways make it a habit to empty out my powder measures. I left some BullsEye in a RCBS powder measure for a week or so and the powder semi melted the inside of the measure leaving the surface rather pitted. I would be curious as to want the Dillon Reps have to say. I make it a habits to empty my 650 of powder & primmers when I am done loading for the day.

Whether it's the toolhead or just the measure you take off, pour the powder into a funnel rather directly into the powder container. It's amazingly easy to spill it as it comes out (don't ask me how I know :lol: ).

The last bit of powder in the bottom of the measure often hangs up on the baffle. There's also a charge's worth in the powder bar itself. This last bit you can get out by just holding the measure over the funnel and actuating the powder bar with your hand a few times.

It's best to store the powder in its original container, as you guessed. If nothing else, you know exactly what powder you have in the measure the next time you reload because you just put it there.

Left out, I think the main change in the powder over time might be its moisture content. While the measure isn't airtight, if it has its cover on, there is little to no air circulation or air exposure for the powder so I don't think the moisture content will change too quickly under most conditions. At least, loading after the week or so that I have left powder in my measure in moderate humidity weather, I haven't noticed any appreciable difference in the ammo compared to the same load made up with a freshly opened container of powder. fwiw ;)

I left some BullsEye in a RCBS powder measure for a week or so and the powder semi melted the inside of the measure leaving the surface rather pitted.

That's interesting, anyracoon. The plastic body of my first measure (a Dillon) got discolored, though not pitted, while I loaded my first recipe for a major IPSC load with an old shotgun powder, Herco (and just how horrible a load that was is a whole other story). While it worked just fine, I got (bought) a replacement body for the measure which has not changed color, though I had since stopped using Herco and switched to other more "modern" powders.

Some chemical reaction I guess, to either the powder itself or the residual solvents in it, left over from the manufacturing process.