Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AP Custom vs. Taccom

I have 8up and 6up Taccom dual load carriers. I am pretty proficient with them on load two but notice when pulling the shells it gets really tough right before they come out (top of the "U" shape clip). This sometimes causes my shells to shift in my hand if I don't have a really firm grip. I know you can adjust the tensions but that is when they are sitting in the carrier, not right before they come out (Top of the "U" shape clips).

My question then is the AP Customs a little easier to remove the shells. I thought I read a review stating this fact but was looking for the opinions from the shooters on here.

Thanks,

Adam

I only have the one AP quadload (8 rounds) for now, and didn't lose a single shell at the Nordic shotgun match this year. But they can definitely fall out easier if they get bumped or something. I take it off if there is a chance of going prone, etc.

The shells come out very easy while loading, which is why I went with this one.

The AP are easier to remove, I find though that they are easier to disappear depending on what the stage requires.

So the shells fall out easier with the AP when running?
Not necessarily from just running, though they have. If it's a rigorous movement stage or you need to go into other shooting positions, in and out of a car, etc then plan on loosing a few.

I've heard you can add extra clips to the ap's to hold a little tighter..anyone have success with that?

I'm still weak handing it from man mountains because I'm afraid of grabbing air when I reach for ammo with the load two's or quads. From the matches I've been to..I'd say almost all guys lose some with load two's at some point during a match. I lose some if I fumble them in my hand, but not from movement or bumping into stuff...so I'm reluctant to change, but the load two's are definitely faster from what I've seen

I bought a kit of the extra springs .. only about $14 and added them and they hold way better. Very important to ad r to the bottom holder but even better if you add to top and bottom. Retention is great and still easy to pull them out.

Both are great systems and there is no clear winner between the two. The AP's do release easier, but don't hold up well to going prone. On the other hand the Taccom's are pretty much bomb proof and are quite a bit more affordable.