Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Storm Lake Ported Barrel vs Magna Porting

Lubecktech

I am in the process of building a M&P 40 (standard size) open gun. So far I have mounted a Burris FastFire II and am getting used to it.

Next I want to improve the recoil impulse with some type of porting. I have seen some videos including Jerry Miculek's video and am leaning toward Magna Porting. But I like the idea of the Storm Lake Drop-in Barrel in that no modification of the slide is necessary - I worry the slide cuts might make a 40 S&W slide more prone to cracking. Plus I could return the gun to stock if I wished. Would the SL barrel's style of porting tend to obscure my view the the optic as it vents the smoke and gases upward? I'd like to hear from some of you who have used these methods as to their ups and downs.

That's a great question ! I'm leaning the same way... As a toolmaker by trade ANY shape that has a sharp corner or a .010 rad in the corner is subject to cracking.

I will be asking them when I call to find out shipping details. And post it.

If I t were a 9mm gun I probably would not give it a second thought. I tend to stick with 147gr loads which are pretty mild but when it comes to something I will use for major PF loads and was not ported from the factory it is much more of a consideration.

• 4 weeks later...