Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you manage your .223 brass

Vlad

I dunno about you guys but I'm both a cheap bastard and a brass whore but I'm also not a very detail oriented over long periods of time. What this translate in is that I hoard and jelously guard my pile of .223 brass but I quickly lose track of which batch is what, or which pile of dirty brass came from were and by extention how many loadings for each case.

I'm too cheap and too poor to shoot it once and dump it, and eventually most of it ends up left behind at lost brass matches, so I'd be happy to find a way to load it 2-4 times before I lose it. In top of it, I get random range pick brass from non-lost matches which, being a brass whore, I loath to leave behind but then I have to wonder how much it was used before I got my hands on it. Sure, I could detail check every case, but this isn't high-power shooting so how much time do I want to spend on that?

So .. how do you guys manage your brass supply? I how do deal with keeping track of number of firings and how to you deal with random range pick up?

I have over 50,000 cases of 9mm and 25,000 cases of 223 ....

It's simple, I have a series of cat litter buckets ( I have 5 cats ...) and I write on the outside of each bucket: 1X, 2X and "NSY" (not shot yet). When I collect range brass it goes in the NYS bucket, as I shoot brass goes into the 1x bucket, after everything has been shot once, I then start using the 1X bucket and dump everything in to the 2X bucket, if I pick range brass whie doing this it goes into the NYSE bucket and so on ... It' easy ....

Keep a pile with a "known" history/provenance for bigger matches.

Don't worry about the rest and use it for practice.

I use three buckets, once fired, twice fired and practice. Match brass comes out of the first two and brass I'm not sure about goes into the practice bucket.