Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Too tense while shooting

Hi Guys,

I am an A Class shooter trying to make M. I believe that my major issue is that I am too tense while shooting. It really affects my transitions and sometimes makes me too jerky in my movements.

It would be easy to say "Just Relax." Are there any concrete things I can do that will alleviate or eliminate this condition?

A few things I do:

1) While others are getting amped up before they shoot, I am trying to calm myself.

2) I shoot with my mouth open as (believe it or not) I have found this helps a little.

3) I breathe deeply before I shoot.

Any thoughts? Help!

Hi Guys,

I am an A Class shooter trying to make M.

There you go. Maybe this isn't the problem, and take it for what it's worth coming from a B class shooter, Trying screws me up, or at least hinders my performance. Stop trying to do any thing in a match, whether it be calming yourself down or amping yourself up. Don't do either. You're a future Master class, so act like it. :goof:

Edited by grapemeister

You need to completely rework what you THINK is needed to produce a solid stage run. Most shooters create a mindset of needing to induce additional effort or speed to produce a "Fast" stage performance. This kind of mindset only increases tension before and during the stage run. This type of thinking is also closely linked to a result expectation or desired result which usually creates a predetermined "Schedule" of events that you need to adhere to in order for the run to be good. These thought processes are what keep B and A class shooters from moving up to the M and GM level of performance.

You need to STOP thinking about doing things faster or trying to inject more effort to try and force a "Fast" performance. Switch to a mindset of doing things as "Soon" as possible by eliminating inefficiencies. Focusing on eliminating waste which allows you to do things sooner will automatically produce a result that takes less time because there is less waste eating up time. Having this mindset also promotes using smooth yet efficient movement which in its self creates a lot less tension while performing.

I like to tell the shooters I train that the performance difference between a top level shooter and a lower level shooter isn't how fast they shoot, its how soon they shoot. B & A Class shooters can pull the trigger at GM speeds. They simply lack the efficiency skills to do the next thing as soon as possible AFTER the shot breaks.

Good feedback. Thank you, gentlemen.

The funny thing is.....the tension creeps in even when I am trying to do things slowly like take a 35 yard shot. I am actually not one to rush a stage and often shoot 90%+ of possible points. I just don't have a fluid process and it slows me down. Video shows hiccup after hiccup and me looking rather stiff.

Perhaps dry fire, a change of mindset as you both suggest, and more relaxation techniques are the keys.

I too felt that my shooting was too tense and started working on it early this year. Try setting up a course for dry firing that requires a good amount of movement and multiple set up positions. Start working through the course paying attention to the tension level in your body. Continue to run the course at speed but focus on eliminating the tension where it's not needed. It was interesting for me that when my upper body was tense then my vision felt tense also. The eye opener for me was that a relaxed vision made more of a difference for me than anything. Focus on a solid grip tension but getting rid of tension elsewhere.

• 1 month later...

Can we set some video? It might make it easier to understand exactly what you are doing or rather what you feel tension is causing you to do.

For me tension shows up most in trigger control and perhaps draw and reload dexterity. Exactly how is it affecting you?