Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dot mount @ 90% any issues?

IHMSA15151

EXCELLENT, I just recieved a Cheely 90 deg mount from Shooters Connection and will be installing it tomorrow to test on Tuesday.

Had two more jams at the match today, so I'm hoping my resluts are same as yours !!!

Edited by mwc5

If your brass is getting caught between the top of the slide and the bottom of the mount it should fix it as there is nothing in the way now. If it's a feeding issue or light loads that won't lock the slide back it won't. Let us know how it works out.

I had zero-holding issues with a 90degree mount, but tracked it down. I have a 3/16 popple hole in the barrel, which leaves a lot of residue on the lens. Unfortunately, that wasn't all it was doing. Had several matches in a row where after a few stages the hits would start drifting left. I would re-zero, and it would stay for a while. The third time it happened, I kinda realized that the adjustment screw slot ended up at the same angle as the last time I adjusted it. Suspecting this blind hog had just rooted up an acorn, I used a pen to put a mark on the housing next to the screw slot. Sure enough, when it went walkabout, the screw was turning. Apparently, the blast against the lens was pushing back hard enough to make the elevation screw (windage when on it's side) migrate. I cleaned it, gave it a drop of Loctite red, and it has not moved since. Don't know if this is the cause of everyone's zero problems, but it was on mine. BTW, it has the plastic body. Word on the street is that the aluminum frame version is much less likely to wander, tho that is hearsay and may be purely biased because of the speakers' distrust of polymer. The same guys tell me my XDM is inherently inaccurate and it is gonna fall apart, right before I use it to spank their 2011s :)

I had zero-holding issues with a 90degree mount, but tracked it down. I have a 3/16 popple hole in the barrel, which leaves a lot of residue on the lens. Unfortunately, that wasn't all it was doing. Had several matches in a row where after a few stages the hits would start drifting left. I would re-zero, and it would stay for a while. The third time it happened, I kinda realized that the adjustment screw slot ended up at the same angle as the last time I adjusted it. Suspecting this blind hog had just rooted up an acorn, I used a pen to put a mark on the housing next to the screw slot. Sure enough, when it went walkabout, the screw was turning. Apparently, the blast against the lens was pushing back hard enough to make the elevation screw (windage when on it's side) migrate. I cleaned it, gave it a drop of Loctite red, and it has not moved since. Don't know if this is the cause of everyone's zero problems, but it was on mine. BTW, it has the plastic body. Word on the street is that the aluminum frame version is much less likely to wander, tho that is hearsay and may be purely biased because of the speakers' distrust of polymer. The same guys tell me my XDM is inherently inaccurate and it is gonna fall apart, right before I use it to spank their 2011s :)

Any chance you're getting close to ready to sell one of these mounts? I'm starting an open build on my 5.25 9mm for 9 minor & SC and would really like to get the C-More down low over the slide.

I have an aluminum slide ride on my full size open gun with 2 popple holes and a double alpha / quinn 3 mount. The dot has NEVER shifted. Plus the aluminum is so much nicer than the plastic

Installed the Cheely 90 deg mount this morning and fired 200 rds this afternoon - PERFECT function and ejection.

Only problem was removing stock screws installed by some ?&$@/':" at STI.

He either WAY over torqued the screws or piled on the red loctite - 3 screws barely broke loose and a SnapOn Allen ( socket) broke off in the 4th. 5th was so tite I didn't persist. Ran to local gunsmith who used EZ out to remove the 2 offenders.

YES, I used heat ( heat gun & solder iron ) but screws were seriously over tightened. Had to grind the five 1/2" screws that came w the Cheely but a Dremel solved that handily.

Save for the 2 hours of "drama", all is good and I'm glad I went with the new mount.