Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help with my new barrel!

triggerman300

So long story short I sent my brand new Noveske 14.5" barrel to Marvin Pitts to get dimpled. He also assembled my complete upper (Noveske gen 3 receiver, NSR rail, RCA LW carrier, Lantac Dragon brake). I took it out yesterday to test fire and it shoots HORRIBLE! I'm talking 5-6" groups at 80 yards with 77gr match that shoots amazing through my other Noveskes. Only thing I can think of is that the dimpling somehow introduced stress into the barrel. I read on another thread that a guy had a similar problem with his krieger that he had fluted. He got his barrel cryo treated and the accuracy returned. Anybody think Cryo treatment is my answer? Any other ideas?

Did you shoot 77gr accurately through this barrel before the dimpling? Have you tried other ammo (69gr, for example) post-dimple? It could just be that this barrel never liked 77gr in the first place.

If you have a 77gr baseline that you are comparing against and you know it is the barrel, then I have no clue. :) I am no metallurgist...

I am the guy that has the Krieger. If it won't shoot 77 match ammo, then I wouldn't waste another round on it. Send it off to be cryo'd and never look back. I wasted a couple hundred rounds of 77 SMK ammo and the time to reload them trying to find a load it would like. I should have listened to Joel (of V7 Weapon systems) right off the bat and sent my barrel away sooner.

I have had barrels cryoed. I think your wasting your money. The idea behind a cut rifle barrel is that you don't induce stress into it, with A button you do. Cryo is not going to make a rifle that shoots 4+MOA shoot 1 MOA or so. Cryo might help a barrel shoot a little better not that much. There is something else wrong here, I recommend that you send the barrel back.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like there is an issue with the barrel. I doubt any cryo treatment is going to fix this.

If it was me, I would write it off and get something from white oak or krieger.

(Sniper's Hide and AR15.com have some pretty vicious threads regarding Noveske QC.)