Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you do when an RO in your opinion is taking too long to do thi

"Old Dudes" can try to leverage the "I am too old to do the work" ploy, but most of the time its a bunch of bullshit. If they are able bodied enough to run around and shoot a field course stage, then they can work just like the rest of us.

That is like saying that since granny can still make it through K-mart then she ought to do the mowing and maybe bail a bit of hay when she gets home. All people learn differently if they live long enough.

I'm lucky enough to be able to do all that is needed of me, but at 58 some days I need to grab a sit down when I can or suffer the consequences, & the need is greater with others of increased age or worsened health.

I have RO many times with different people. The vast majority try to run the squad efficiently. A few times I have gotten paired to a person that takes too long to do things. Many times they are yacking with friends or just don't have a plan on how to score. It just seems to make a long day longer.

So in these situations, is there any tip or suggestion on what to do or say without stepping on people's toes?

Sometimes it is a clue to relax. I know the problem but sometimes the answer is just not to let it upset you.

Edited by IHAVEGAS

Holly dramatic batman!!!.......... Expecting all shooters to pitch in with the normal work needed to run a match is not back breaking work. Everyone can pitch in to a level that they are able to. I don't expect our older shooters to be hauling poppers or other heavy props during setup or tear down, that should be obvious. But when they drag a folding lawn chair from berm to berm and sit waiting for their turn to shoot and do nothing else that is bullshit. If your health or physical fitness has deteriorated to a point where you CAN'T do basic things like tape, brass, or RO then you need to find a different shooting sport to participate in. This reality is no different for all other hobbies or sports that require a certain level of physical ability to participate. The unfortunate reality is that at some point we will all get old enough, or physically limited enough to NOT be able to effectively participate in USPSA matches. That fact sucks, but it is reality.

Holly dramatic batman!!!.......... Expecting all shooters to pitch in with the normal work needed to run a match is not back breaking work. Everyone can pitch in to a level that they are able to. I don't expect our older shooters to be hauling poppers or other heavy props during setup or tear down, that should be obvious. But when they drag a folding lawn chair from berm to berm and sit waiting for their turn to shoot and do nothing else that is bullshit. If your health or physical fitness has deteriorated to a point where you CAN'T do basic things like tape, brass, or RO then you need to find a different shooting sport to participate in. This reality is no different for all other hobbies or sports that require a certain level of physical ability to participate. The unfortunate reality is that at some point we will all get old enough, or physically limited enough to NOT be able to effectively participate in USPSA matches. That fact sucks, but it is reality.

I honestly hope that if you still want to and are able to shoot at an advanced age or just a decreased level of health, there will be folks there that understand the lawn chair or UTV or etc. I like the idea that your buddies will step in a bit to help you keep coming out & having fun.

Not to ignore your point that some folks (all ages) could do more.

Side note, a local MD told me that during a match last year they had to threaten the super squad with time penalties in order to get the pasting done :).

I have more trouble getting the "prima donnas" to work, where my old guys try to cover for them and wear out early. I don't have a surplus of shooters and I'm not sure I could put a match together alone, so I try to keep as many people happy as possible so I can do something I enjoy, SHOOTING. I think this post drifted somewhere...

"Old Dudes" can try to leverage the "I am too old to do the work" ploy, but most of the time its a bunch of bullshit. If they are able bodied enough to run around and shoot a field course stage, then they can work just like the rest of us.

That is like saying that since granny can still make it through K-mart then she ought to do the mowing and maybe bail a bit of hay when she gets home. All people learn differently if they live long enough.

I'm lucky enough to be able to do all that is needed of me, but at 58 some days I need to grab a sit down when I can or suffer the consequences, & the need is greater with others of increased age or worsened health.

I believe you have it backwards. It's like saying if granny is mowing and bailing hay, then she probably doesn't need the handicapped spot and a motorized cart at walmart.

I believe you have it backwards. It's like saying if granny is mowing and bailing hay, then she probably doesn't need the handicapped spot and a motorized cart at walmart.

Ok I get low marks for the analogy. Should have just said something like 'watching somebody shoot a stage does not tell you how much of a toll they are paying in pain and effort - or how much gas they have left in the tank'.