Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what is the "detonics cut" in a barrel

wanderer

hopping someone may be able to help with a term that I have no idea what it is.

ordered a 6" bull barrel for a 1911 and was asked the question was it going in a 5" or 6" slide.

I answered 5" and asked the question why, what is the difference between the two?

answer, "where the detonics cut would be placed"

I am unfamiliar with this term. any one able to educate me.

I've never heard of a "detonics cut" but I can see why the supplier asked about 5" or 6" slide. The position for the cone will determine which slide it will fit.

Detonics guns were available in both full size Matchmaster (5") and compact Combatmaster (3 1/2"} .45 ACP guns. The Detonics initially used Colt barrels with a cone added (later they built their own barrels), maybe the term "detonics cut" is sort of a generic phrase indicating placement of the cone.

Bill

Peter - it is the relieved section on the top of the barrel that provides clearance between the slide and barrel. The barrel is machined parallel and then the relief is done.

You will be putting a 6" barrel into a 5" slide and will use the extra inch to attach the comp, so you need a 6 inch barrel with a Detonics cut for a 5 inch.

How did you get on with the primers ?

I wanted to install a 6" bull into a 4.5" slide so I called KKM and they made a barrel with the same profile as a commander bull barrel up to 4.25" and then parallel the rest of the way out. Smith was able to achieve an excellent fit.