Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building a new Open Revo for 2005

10mmdave

Hello Folks, have a few questions for this esteemed board of round gun enthusiasts,

I'm building/re-building an Open Revo for the coming years matches, it'll start life as a S&W 627 38/357 8 shooter. My questions are....

Barrel twist recomendations ?

Forcing cone angle (5-11-18 degrees or Taylor) ?

Bullet/powder selection ? (what seems to work for you at 50 yards?)

Compensation - - - holes thru the barrel or comped at the end ?

Red Dot recomendations, (I'm partial to a 4 min OKO dot but what the hey, other folks may be interested in this thread)

The Revo will be used for ICORE and steel challenge stuff so I'm talking light (120-130pf) loads.

It will need minute-of-X-ring accuracy at 50 yards for ICORE standards

and then minute-of-18x24 steel plate at 40yards (45 yrds??) for SC stuff.

So what do you think ? Did I miss anything ?

Thanks for any input, DaveP

Dave,

I can't answer a lot of your questions inteligently, but that has never stopped me before.

1. Barrel twist. A one in 10 was used by the silohuate (sp) shooters for accuraccy and works real well for a 160 grain 38 super bullet. But does not do as well for the lighter bullets.

2. Forcing cone: I'll let Speedstick or Randy get to that one.

3. Bullet powder combination: If using the 1 in 10 barrel a 160 grain 38 super bullet with about 3.8 to 4.1 grains of Solo 1000 to get about 800 fps or about 127 powerfactor. Seems to work for me. I think Vic uses a 170 grain Hornady xtp but not sure of his barrel. You could use that for the long shooting and switch to a 147 West Coast plated for the close stuff. (West Coast has been purchased by American Ammunition so good luck finding the stuff) and you will have to bump up the load maybe a 1/2 grain or so.

4. Compensation: Hybrid ports in the barrel!!!

5. I'm partial to the tube dots. It seems to help me find the dot when switching to weak hand. You have heard of the Semore shuffle?

Flame suit on and ready. :lol::lol: rdd

Dave,

I can't answer a lot of your questions inteligently, but that has never stopped me before.

1. Barrel twist.  A one in 10 was used by the silohuate (sp) shooters for accuraccy and works real well for a 160 grain 38 super bullet.  But does not do as well for the lighter bullets.

2. Forcing cone:  I'll let Speedstick or Randy get to that one.

3. Bullet powder combination:  If using the 1 in 10 barrel a 160 grain 38 super bullet with about 3.8 to 4.1 grains of Solo 1000 to get about 800 fps or about 127 powerfactor.  Seems to work for me.  I think Vic uses a 170 grain Hornady xtp but not sure of his barrel.  You could use that for the long shooting and switch to a 147 West Coast plated for the close stuff.  (West Coast has been purchased by American Ammunition so good luck finding the stuff)  and you will have to bump up the load maybe a 1/2 grain or so.

4.  Compensation:  Hybrid ports in the barrel!!!

5.  I'm partial to the tube dots.  It seems to help me find the dot when switching to weak hand.  You have heard of the Semore shuffle?

Flame suit on and ready. :lol:  :lol:  rdd

Thanks for the info Bubber, I remember you from the 2004 IRC and The

Handgunner a few years ago.

I have a 1-10 barrel blank in 9mm (at least that's what the seller said) I'll have

to thread that up and give it try.

I saw from an earlier post that heavy bullets where a good way to go, and I just

ordered some 160 Horns and 170 Sierras to check out.

Thanks for the info on WestCoast, we here in NE were using a bunch of the WC

bullets till shipping costs starting getting to much, alot of here started using Montana golds.

ANd I'm a big fan of hybrid ports even if those standing around me are not :lol:

Thanks again, DaveP

Dave, A friend of mine had a casting business and had the molds for the 160grns. The Wildbunch just liked the 160 grain bullets so that was the bullet I stuck with. Even though I try different ones it seems I always come back to the 160's. Speedstick might be able to tell you who else has the 160 confiuration. As you know it is a more pointy bullet which aids in speed loading. later rdd

Mistah Pah-Ker, how are you my friend? Your namesake is getting bigger and will soon be sorting brass for me before I know it! ( my son's name is Parker...)

Anyhoo, My project gun like yours would be.........

8shot 627 with cylinder cut back for 38 short colt. like Fred Sadowski's old .45 revos were. You will get barrel length here. Barrel length of 5in in front. We want it light for transistions on steel. Hybrid comp it and throw your choice of Dot. With the .355 bore barrel you can shoot any projectile through it. I would go for the forcing cone treatment in which Jerry uses, I cant remember the name. You can drop a bullet into the forcing cone, it goes in a little ways, but keeps the bullet straight as it goes into the Bore. With the barrel coming back to the cylinder you get an extra bit of barrel, plus with .355 bore your forcing cone will be tougher(not opened as much) and you will still get the benefit of accuracy with the Short Colt, plus it is Kool and no one else has one....... :ph34r:

Tell the Mass. boys I said hi, and hopefully will see them at the PSA this year! DougCarden

Hi Doug, Happy New Year ! give the little one a hug from Uncle Dave. (and the

wife too even though I haven't met her yet :) )

You basicly spelled out all that I want to do with this new open revo project, short

cylinder, move the barrel back into the window, make up a nice barrel contour that

will be light enough but not whippy. Hybid ports also.

The thread that says use heavy bullets has got me thinking, I've been a proponent

of light/fast bullets to keep the muzzle down for speed but the more I read and

learn the more I get confused.

I think I may do long Colt instead of the short colts, seen to many bulged short

colt cases with heavy bullets.

Thats why I posted the question to get some opinions, I can't be the only thinking

about what to shoot this year.

(thread drift)

Yes you will see a bunch of us at the PSA this year, looking forward to it as always.

Get on the ball for hotel rooms, the White Rose is already booked.

Lemme know if you need some suggestions

And for anybody else out there, check out www.psashootout.com

it's one heck of a ride B)