Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fine tuning an AR buffer

Dustbuster1

Not physics. It simply wasn't cycling properly.that's why I suspect a spring change is in order. Opening the gas almost 4 turns didn't help. BTE gas block. Not saying its bad or doesn't work, it's just not running well in this rifle right now. It's just weird that it wont work.what setup are u running that allows it to work as it should?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

4 turns....is almost full gas ( or is full gas). There seems to be something amiss here. Could be that the gas block is not lined up either radially or forward and aft. Most people with the TACCOM LW recoil system have been at a 1/2 to 3/4 turns out from closed. You could also be running a barrel with a smaller gas hole size too?

Other issues could be tight tolerance between the bolt and BCG (or too loose....gas escaping). Not being there of course makes it hard to determine a cause....so I am pulling at straws. However, the bottom line is there is something not quite right there.

On the other hand.....if you have the adjustable gas system......going with recoil spring that is 10 or 15% less is not a bad idea. The biggest thing about running lighter springs on a lightened recoils system is to make sure that you can strip rounds reliably off a full magazine. Once you get that in balance.....you will have a sweet recoiling rifle.

The part that stumps me is the gun runs fine with the JP, which is heavier. But doesn't run with the Taccom? As I said before and Tim did as well something isn't right somewhere. You are at full gas and shouldn't be.

I am running a JP LMOS bolt carrier, DPMS Bolt, Taccom ULW Recoil system, Mil-spec Buffer Spring, Nordic Barrel, Syrac GB at 4 clicks from closed.

The part that stumps me is the gun runs fine with the JP, which is heavier. But doesn't run with the Taccom? As I said before and Tim did as well something isn't right somewhere. You are at full gas and shouldn't be.

Am running a bte gas block on this. As I mentioned,ill work with the spring portion of it which may be the culprit. I've changed ammo, mags, gas rings are lined up fine, even tested same ammo and mags w another rifle next to this one. Back on the spring. Weirdest part was it ran fine initially then got worse running 55 grain 223.

I'll do a spring rodeo and report back but I'm stumped on the fine w JP not fine w 2 piece as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.