Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red dot sight - Slide mount vs Frame mount, Dot size

jimreed1948

I have a few questions regarding red dot sights. Some years ago, the main sight I saw on the range was the C-more. There were a scattering of can style sights, but mostly C-more. Everything at that time was mounted on a frame attached to the pistol. I don't ever remember seeing a slide ride sight.

What are people using now;

1. Dot size?

2. Frame mount or slide

3. *Brand name of slide mount red dot sight*

4. Brand name of mount & red dot sight

*There are so many slide mounted sights available now. I would like to know if I went this route which one would be the one to really look at seriously. Does the slide mount have any draw backs due to it cycling with the slide all the time?

Edited by jimreed1948

I feel like I'd like to try a Trijicon RMR, Dual Iluminated green dot, 9 moa low mounted to a Glock slide. I don't know if it would be the most competitive thing out there, but it would be fun. I want the slide mount b/c I prefer to stick with a standard kydex holster. Also the reason I'm not running a thumb rest in Limited.

I know it's not a Glock but I'll toss in my 2 cents worth. I run a Trijicon RMR on my M&P Core. I went with the largest dot 12.9 MOA, I think it was. I use it for steel challenge so as soon as I see the dot on steel I'm shooting. If I were going to use it for USPSA I would want a smaller dot on it. I had a really hard time deciding between the Trijicon and Leupold Deltapoint. I went with the Trijicon because it was available now and the Deltapoint is being upgraded and a new version will be out soon so I couldn't justify buying a sight that I knew was about to be upgraded plus I wasn't sure I'd like the triangle versus dot.

I run the Burris FF3 with an 8 MOA dot, slide ride. I use it for 3 gun and have been running the same sight for over a year. I have not seen any drawbacks of a slide mounted but have not shot a frame mount. I run a race holster and have not had any problems with retention.

I have 3 Burris FF 3's. Two are slide mounts and one frame (Carver) mount. Two are 3 MOA and one is 8 MOA. I like the 3 MOA for indoor target shooting but feel its too easily lost outdoors in rapid fire competition shooting and that is where the 8 is much easier to pick up. I have not replaced a battery in over 3 years. None have lost their zero and all are extremely accurate {IF} I do my part ;) I have tried the tube sights but like the smaller foot print and lighter weight of the FF sight.