Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MAG NOT DROPPING FREELY

stickboy44

I bought a used 2011 recomp mag off some one and it seem to be in good condition.

But when you hit the mag release you have to pull the mag out of the gun.

If you insert the mag it clicks in with no problems..when you shift the mag in the mag well and hit the release it will drop..with no problems

but if you don't shift the mag a 1/4 of an inch in the mag well it will not drop freely

I have no problems with any of my other 6 STI mags

Edited by stickboy44

I'm having a similar problem with a couple sti mags. I installed a thinned and stippled grip and now it flexes a bit, I have 5 mags for the gun and the 2 I bought most recent are the problem ones. I measured them all a the problem one are a few hundredths of an inch thicker front to back. I know this doesn't help you but I didn't want to start a similar topic.

Most likely the side of the mag release is rubbing the mag body. There is a U shaped section of the mag release and one side or the other is usually where it rubs. To confirm, you can take off the slide and remove the slide release. If the mag inserts and drops freely that's the issue.

That all said, I really wouldn't modify a gun to work with a one off mag. If the ATI mags work then I'd probably just stick with those. A couple of strokes with a file usually does it if that's the issue.

That happened to me as well with one of my "tuned" 40 mags. Seems that it got tweeked due to dropping on hard surfaces during matches. All I did was purchase the Dawson mag tuning kit, followed the video and that mag worked well.