Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22 Rimfire Open Pistol Build

Hatchet

I had a Tandemkross bushing and it was too tight for the mark III hammer, so I waited for the VQ mark II hammer and bushing. While I was satisfied with the way it shot before, it is that much better now. Trigger pull is 1.5 pounds with very little travel. I shot about 200 rounds through it yesterday and it had zero hiccups. See you in 2 weeks, JD! :goof:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just built this after shooting WSSC, thought 22 lookd fun. Madmaxx comp, replaced trigger bushing and lightened mainspring. Will have to look at trigger parts next based on the read here. Total build with gun under $600, twice that much going into new slide and work on Caspian 1911.

post-42956-0-36604800-1405273105_thumb.j

Edited by bagdad45

Just built this after shooting WSSC, thought 22 lookd fun. Madmaxx comp, replaced trigger bushing and lightened mainspring. Will have to look at trigger parts next based on the read here. Total build with gun under $600, twice that much going into new slide and work on Caspian 1911.

I hear you, my open gun was nearly $3,000 and I venture to say, when my 22 is finished at a fraction of the cost, it will be more fun to shoot.

Edited by jdphotoguy

I recently finished a rimfire open build in the hopes that I can get my son started on competitive shooting. I went with the Ruger platform since that's what I know best in the world of rimfire; my father got me a MkII for xmas when I was 11. I was planning on just getting a Pac-lite upper for my existing frame but decided I'd rather have my son learn on a more standard mag release setup and started looking for a MKIII frame. I got a Brownells flyer in the mail at the same time my wife was bugging me about what I wanted as an anniversary gift and the build went off the deep end; although the frame came from another site that was a lot cheaper. My boy is a bit of a peanut and just coming up on 9 so I wanted the build as light as possible; the only trade-off I made in that respect is the longer barrel but it came out light enough I think. I only have a hundred rounds through it, 70 mini-mag and 30 Aguila, but it operated flawlessly. Can't wait to setup a Steel Challenge stage in the pits at my club and take him over to start him learnin :D

PacLite1.jpg

PacLite2.jpg

PacLite3.jpg

Full build:
Volquartsen lower with their race parts
Tactical Solutions billet grips
Tactical Solutions Pac-Lite 6" threaded upper
Tactical Solutions comp and rail
old Optima 2000 (JPoint) dot sight I had in the parts bin
JP JPoint picatinny mount
Ruger bolt assembly (ebay)
Ruger mainspring assembly
Majestic Arms MKIII mags with extended basepads.

Sweet Looking Gun!!!!!!!!!!!

Having shot rimfire irons at the steel challenge match last weekend I can see an open rimfire pistol in my future :).

The dark side welcomes you.

I'm moving in that direction faster than I thought. I had a rail for a Buckmark in my shopping cart on Amazon. Mrs. Jones ordered some stuff for her yesterday and bought the rail as well. It gets here tomorrow so I will have red dot and rail and it just so happens I have a 3rd Buckmark for the junior program. Looks like they're getting an open gun this weekend :).

Having shot rimfire irons at the steel challenge match last weekend I can see an open rimfire pistol in my future :).

The dark side welcomes you.
I'm moving in that direction faster than I thought. I had a rail for a Buckmark in my shopping cart on Amazon. Mrs. Jones ordered some stuff for her yesterday and bought the rail as well. It gets here tomorrow so I will have red dot and rail and it just so happens I have a 3rd Buckmark for the junior program. Looks like they're getting an open gun this weekend :).
your going to have to post picks of it to see your progress?

I shot the pistol before I upgraded it and it had a few malfunctions, some definitely ammo related. Here is a list of what I did.

Ruger 22/45 Lite

Removed the LCI--useless

Removed the sights

Tandemkross Slingshot on the slide return

Exact edge extractor

Volquartsen Mark II Accurizing kit with magazine disconnect

Tandemkross compensator

Allchin mount

Cmore 6 moa optic

When finished it weighed 26.4 ounces and had a trigger pull of exactly 2 pounds. Took it to the range and adjusted the pretravel, overtravel and the optic and it ran like a champ. Obviously not much recoil or muzzle flip. It never really came off of 8 inch plates at about 15 yards. I also have to say that the Volquartsen sear was a piece of art. It had a beautiful mirrored finish.

I might change the grips, but I like the way it looks and feels right now. Only other thing I might buy is a holster, just so I don't have to bag it up between stages. Thanks for all the input, especially T Baucus.

thats good looking short light and fast transitions im sure the only thing i would change on mine wouuld be a shorter barrel like that one

My open build is complete! Pictures are attached. The first is what I started with and the second is what I finished with. Awesome, right? :) It's nothing special just a Weaver Red Dot on top of a box-stock Browning Buckmark. I do have a question regarding the position of the red dot. On my C.O.R.E. the red dot is at the back of the slide but looking at the builds where you guys are running CMoore dots the dot is further forward. Is there an advantage in one position over the other? I'm taking it out to the range today to zero it and then will let the junior shooters try it out tomorrow but I'm going to do that after the match. I want them to shoot the match the the iron sight Buckmark before they try this one. One day I'll build a nice open .22 but for now I think this will work just fine.

post-50397-0-89374100-1406287422_thumb.j

post-50397-0-90662300-1406287437_thumb.j

My open build is complete! Pictures are attached. The first is what I started with and the second is what I finished with. Awesome, right? :) It's nothing special just a Weaver Red Dot on top of a box-stock Browning Buckmark. I do have a question regarding the position of the red dot. On my C.O.R.E. the red dot is at the back of the slide but looking at the builds where you guys are running CMoore dots the dot is further forward. Is there an advantage in one position over the other? I'm taking it out to the range today to zero it and then will let the junior shooters try it out tomorrow but I'm going to do that after the match. I want them to shoot the match the the iron sight Buckmark before they try this one. One day I'll build a nice open .22 but for now I think this will work just fine.

if i were to place the dot i would do it right where you put it !!! i like the dot it self rite over the chamber thats just my preference seems to work well for me

Zack I was told by a GM shooter, who's opinion I value, that sticking the dot more forward it's easier to pickup. I used to have my dot in the rear sight dovetail and then moved it over the ejection port and I've found his recommendation to be correct, the dot is easier to pickup.

Edited by jdphotoguy

Appreciate the advice on dot placement. I didn't get a chance to zero it on Saturday so I did that yesterday. One of the junior shooters came out to the range and I let him run a few rounds through it. I think they're going to like it. Those Buckmarks are fun guns.