Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need your help troubleshooting my G35

igolfat8

I have a relatively new Gen 4 G35 which has about 500 rounds through it. It has a LW .40 bbl with a 3 port Carver comp. Shooting a 165 grain Zero jacketed bullet over 4.6 grains of N320. Brass falls 24” to the right. I can run 11# or 12# springs and the slide locks back consistently. A 13# spring has cycling issues with this load.

The problem arises when I am shooting under a timer in bowling pin competitions. I load two 15 round mags with 10 rounds. I begin with the slide locked back, insert a magazine and release the slide stop to chamber the first round. The first 10 rounds run flawlessly and the slide locks back on the last shot. I insert the second mag, release the slide stop, pull the trigger and NOTHING happens, no click, nuthin’??? Since I don't hear a click (or the release of the striker) when I pull the trigger does this mean the slide has not returned fully into battery?

I rapidly cycle the slide by hand, ejecting the live chambered round and the next nine run flawlessly, locking the slide back on the last shot. I have not numbered the mags to see if there might be an issue with one mag over the other.

This is my first experience with a comp and its driving me up a wall trying to figure out the right load and spring rates.

Any ideas why this is happening or things I can do to correct this?

Edited by igolfat8

"Shooting a 65 grain Zero jacketed bullet over 4.6 grains of N320" I assume you mean 165 grain bullet...?

Like you said check the magazine. Is it always on the reload? Are you slowing the slide down by pushing on it with any fingers / etc? Do the bullets feed smoothly when you let the slide down slow?

Zero is the brand of bullet and yes its 165 grain weight. Sorry for the fat fingered typo.

Yes, the issue is ALWAYS on the first shot of the second inserted magazine.

I don't believe I have any skin dragging on the slide but I am under some pressure under the clock so I will pay more attention to technique the next time out.

Bullets feed like butter on every cycle. No issues there but I will purposely slow the slide down and watch the bullets cycle in slow mo.

Do you have the same issue if you load 9 or 11 in the second mag? Does the problem only occur if you release the slide using the stop? Can you replicate the problem by pulling rearward on the slide to release the stop and let it fly? Personally I think a 12# spring is a bit light for a 40.

Do you have the same issue if you load 9 or 11 in the second mag? Does the problem only occur if you release the slide using the stop? Can you replicate the problem by pulling rearward on the slide to release the stop and let it fly? Personally I think a 12# spring is a bit light for a 40.

I have not tried to load 9 or 11 in the 2nd mag but I will. Problem only occurs when I release the slide stop ON THE 2ND MAG? After the failure to fire, if I slingshot the slide it will eject the chambered round and the following 9 rounds will cycle with no glitches. It won't run with a 13# spring because I get stove pipes on ejection.

Did you say you only experience this when you are "on the clock?"

If so then you are most likely doing something with your grip to slow the slide... or something.

Sounds too be out of battery. Do you case guage your ammo? What OAL are you using?

Have you tried just banging on the back of the slide to see if it is out of battery?

What's the trigger feel like when this happens? Are you positive it doesn't click? Is it possible you are releasing the slide before the magazine is seated and you are starting with an empty chamber?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Edited by 3djedi

Yep, sure enough it is out of battery.

I am running an OAL of 1.135" and have plunk tested cases. They fit fine and cycle fine.

The trigger pulls straight to the rear with no resistance, no stacking, no break or release of the striker.

If I cycle the slide with no ammo and pull the slide to the rear 1" and let it fly it won't fully return to battery unless I bump it on the end of the slide. I noticed the end of the LW bbl hood is dragging against the flat face of the receiver. I am not sure if it should touch there or if the small ears on either side of the hood should bear against the receiver? I ran out of time but plan to put the stock bbl in tonight to see what surfaces it bears against.

If I add a drop of oil on the end of the bbl hood it will return to battery but I hesitate doing that because it would likely accumulate burnt powder residue on the oil.

Edited by igolfat8

I put the OEM barrel in and the bbl hood rides against the breach face just like the LW bbl. I played around with recoil springs and the 12# spring won't return the slide to battery, if I slingshot the slide 1" from closed or in slow motion but a 13# spring will so it looks like I need to work up a load for the 13# spring and try that.

A 12# spring is probably about right for the comp, but on a Glock, you've got another issue to balance: the opposition of the Firing Pin Spring. A 13# (or greater) spring is what is normally needed to absolutely positively ensure that the slide is not pushed out of battery by the trigger bar as it comes back during the trigger press.

You might consider going to a 4# ZEV or Wolff Firing Pin Spring and see if it'll reliably ignite your primers. If it will, you could go back to the lighter spring that the gun would probably like better.