Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

g34 spring question

93notch

hey everyone i just picked up a glock 34 and am going to be using it in for 3 gun and i may try my hand at some uspsa style stuff. I am looking for the best advise as far as managing recoil. I know i need to get a magwell with weight and a guide rod system. Just trying to figure out what springs i should use. I load my ammo or use factory if i am out of brass.....

We'll need a touch more info to help you out.

Planned load (bullet weight, powder, etc)?

Barrel- stock, or are you/did you change it?

Magwell- seems like an odd question, but it's relevant....but how big are your hands?

Answers to the above will get you more detailed responses.

I am loading my own ammo mostly 115gr on top of 3.7 grains of 700x powder. Right now the plans are to leave the barrel stock unless I can find a nice drop in. I am not a Smith. I want a magwell more for the ease of loading and some added weight. I have decent sized hands. I wear xtra large gloves

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Edited by 93notch

Don't worry about changing out the barrel. Glock barrels are very good. Unless you plan on shooting a lot of lead then leave the barrel stock.

Dawson ICE magwells are excellent. Have one on my Glock 34 and 35. Easy to put on and make loads easier. Also look at the Dawson tooless mag extensions to add capacity to your magazines for 3 gun.

https://www.dawsonprecision.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=MAGWELLS%2C+MAIN+SPRING+HOUSINGS+AND+BACKSTRAPS:Magwell+Glock

For my 34 shooting 125grn bullets at about 135 PF I find the 13# recoil spring to work great. You can also get a stainless steel guide rod if you wanted to as that's what i use in my 34 and 35 as well or they also make a heavier tungsten, but never used one.

Also look at new sights. Glock sight suck. Always the first thing I change out. I like Dawson Precision black rear and red fiber optic front. The red front only draws the eye to it and allows for fast sighting on target.

DSCN1117-1.jpg

DSCN1115.jpg

Here's my 35 on top with magwell and Dawson tooless mag extension, which gives me 22-23 rounds in the 34 when shooting 3 gun. Below is the 34 without the magwell as I was going to run an IDPA match. It goes back on for 3 gun.

photo17_zps0dd1e743.jpg

If that's the case, a 13# spring will pretty much get you to a very happy end. As far as the magwell, look into a Carver. It's a slimmer design for larger hands. Barrels are mostly drop in ready, but like it was said above, no need to change it unless you want to or plan to shoot lead. KKM, Wolf, and Storm Lake all offer drop in barrels if you go that route.

I personally ran an 11# spring, 147 plated, and a SS FLGR in my 34 load with a PF of 129.

i forgot to add mine had dawson sights on it... oooops. It ran great for me today on its first outing. I would just like a little more weight in the gun and a little less recoil. So a ss guide rod and 13 pound recoil spring?

Nope, I did have some fail to feeds, but that was because I tried to run too long of an OAL. Obviously, that issue was the Indian, and not the bow. I never had a single fail to eject, though. If I didn't have a good grip, or limp waisted it in any way....I had issues. Again, Indian, not the bow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...