Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Food Allergies

jessej

Hmm.. food allergies.. I can chime in here...

All fresh fruits.. (cooked is ok)

All fresh veggies.. (most of them cooked are ok, see below)

Undercooked egg yolks (no sunny side up for me)..

All raw nuts...

All roasted nuts save Peanuts, Cashews, Almonds, and Hazelnuts..

Pollen allergies..

Pet Dander...

Lactose Intolerant...

Um... that about covers it.

Even some well cooked vegetables... especially beets, spinach, and chard.

<_<:(:angry:

Chicken? I wonder if maybe it's not the chicken you are allergic to but maybe what they feed the chicken. Ever try organically raised chicken? Shellfish is a common allergy and thankfully I don't have it.

Vince

I wish it were a case of being picky, but I literally can't eat all these things, never have been able to. Uncooked eggs will cause my throat to swell shut, raw fruits, veggies, and nuts cause a large amount of itching internal to my throat, roof of my mouth, and external itching in my ears and throat. Bananas will give me a bad stomache ache in addition to all the other bad things. Even cooked bananas make me ill. I wish it weren't true, I've never been able to bite into a nice, crisp, sweet apple. It's rather hellish. Don't get me started on citrus or stone fruit :(

I've had the scratch tests done, that confirmed it.

Vince

I wish I knew exactly what I'm allergic to. About once a month I'll eat a meal at a restaurant that will light me up until the benadryl starts working. No rhyme or reason as the same meal at a different time will do nothing. Think I might be allergic to the nitrates or something that may not always get totally washed off by the kitchen staff. Maybe MSG. Luckily it is just hives not breathing or I wouldn't play Russian roulette.

I wish it were a case of being picky, but I literally can't eat all these things, never have been able to. Uncooked eggs will cause my throat to swell shut, raw fruits, veggies, and nuts cause a large amount of itching internal to my throat, roof of my mouth, and external itching in my ears and throat. Bananas will give me a bad stomache ache in addition to all the other bad things. Even cooked bananas make me ill. I wish it weren't true, I've never been able to bite into a nice, crisp, sweet apple. It's rather hellish. Don't get me started on citrus or stone fruit :(

I've had the scratch tests done, that confirmed it.

Vince

sorry to hear...

but cooked banana?

I wish I knew exactly what I'm allergic to. About once a month I'll eat a meal at a restaurant that will light me up until the benadryl starts working. No rhyme or reason as the same meal at a different time will do nothing. Think I might be allergic to the nitrates or something that may not always get totally washed off by the kitchen staff. Maybe MSG. Luckily it is just hives not breathing or I wouldn't play Russian roulette.

yes,

sometimes its the way resturants prepare foods, like you said.

KFC doesn't go well for me <_<

With that 'killer' list, I'm surprised that Vince is still alive.

I have problems with Grapefruit or Grapefruit juice: Causes the windpipe to slam shut. :blink: Have had three major 'choking' incidents on Grapefruit product. Nothing quite like being unable to breath in OR out to cause a re-think about eating any more Grapefruit. The shame of it is I LOVE Grapefruit! :angry: Damn.

sargenv... HOLY CRAP :o:(

I luckily haven't found anything I'm allergic to (food related I mean, I'm allergic to red ants and poison injecting insects in general); but also I don't eat seafood (hate the taste of everything that lives in water) so maybe I'm allergic to shrimps or something and I don't know it.

Having been an Executive Chef for 15yrs. I think someone needs to see a shrink  I have always maintained that most food alergies are in the brain pan and not physical, Thats my story and I'm sticking to it!

Um, I cooked for 10 years myself. It's not in my head.. My throat maybe, head.. naw... When I was a wee lad of about 5 or 6, mom would put fruit in my lunch, I'd eat it, I'd itch like crazy. Around the time I was 7 or 8, we went and got me tested, yep, allergic to all of the above. I tested recently to see if I was any less allergic to any of the above, nope, no such luck. I've known people over the years to be allergic to various things, peanuts lately seem to be the worst. But I have known other people allergic to fruit, allergic to nuts, allergic to dander, shellfish, etc. So why would I need my head checked and not them? I just so happen to have all of those issues. :P

I knew cooks who would break out with eczema if they handled shellfish. I tend to think I'm allergic to something other than the actual veggie, fruit, etc, something that they use in growing all this stuff, but who knows, maybe I'm just weird. Unlike so many others, I don't create a huge stink that I can't eat this, it should be banned, I just avoid whatever it is or inquire exactly what is contained in X at a restaurant.

I seem to do ok with Alavert for the pet/dander/hayfever issues, and for the rest I just avoid it as I can.

I don't mind having steak :D

Vince

Nuts seem to be the worst, followed by shellfish. I have a buddy that has fits with fruit, only soft fruit, He says its a texture thing. If he eats a Kiwi it's barf o rama. Thats where I get the mind thing from. One of the coolest customers that I had, She had business cards printed with what she was allergic to. She would have the waiter bring it back to the kitchen and I would put it on the line for my cooks to see. I thought that was a cool idea. That way we wouldn't have to remember all the things that would make her do the " Tuna ". :P

Ivan

It's not a texture thing though, I can eat raw oysters and actually enjoy them. I can eat Hummus and enjoy it. I can eat jello.. etc.. It's not a texture thing.. I like a lot of foods that a lot of people don't. Caviar for instance, I discovered it a few years ago and love it. It comes down to "what do I get a reaction from?". I'm pretty good at reading menus and know what goes into a lot of things. 10 years of cooking familiarized me with a large volume of cuisines and basic staple dishes from a lot of regions. The key to most of this is raw.. Cooked things aren't such an issue. Just that if I want a peach, it has to be baked or otherwise cooked so that I can have it as opposed to peel it (or not peel it) and eat. I don't even have issues with the skin of a peach, a lot of people do.

Vince

(I tell ya, it's not in my head!) :lol:

If that were the case, my organic produce would have not given me a reaction. It does. I've grown veggies and had fruit trees, no pesticides or nasty chemicals were used, yet I still couldn't eat any of them. This was after peeling in some cases (carrots, beets) and also after picking straight from the tree in the case of plums and tangelos, and still they make me itch. I figure it's on the level of amino acids or something to do enzymatically (is that a word?). Once whatever it is, is killed, I can eat it no big deal. But that also doesn't explain nut allergies like walnuts, pistacios, macadamias, brazils, pine nuts, and sunflower seeds. I can't eat these regardless of cooked/roasted/uncooked.

Vince