Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tell me about 38 Super

igolfat8

I saw a guy tonight shooting a 38 super, 2011 something? What impressed me most was the muzzle rise was non existent. It was amazing watching it from the side. Was this a function of the caliber or the guy running it?

I'm assuming it was an open gun? ports and/or compensator etc?

it's a function of a few things:

the guy running it and his grip

the way the ports and or the compensator are designed

the amount of gas his load puts through those holes in that comp/ports that work against the natural muzzle rise

the calibre itself is nothing super special. it's popular as it's basically the same diameter as a 9mm (hence good for getting the most rounds in a mag) but a bit longer so it can hold more powder comfortably to be able to produce a load with enough gas to work the comp properly.

Along with what Sarge and BeerBaron said ,

Whether it's 9mm or 38 supercomp, when it comes to open guns, there can be a lot of trial and error, testing and tuning between loads and spring combinations before you start to find something that feels good to you or makes the gun appear to run a little softer or flatter.

It seems at times almost every open gun out there prefers it's own unique load and spring combination,

and unfortunately they can be a little finicky on what makes them work the best. A little patience is sometimes required. I'm going through that myself right now with my open gun. But they can also be a lot of fun to shoot.

Just try and make sure when you get close to these guns , that you have good hearing protection on you.

But loud can sometimes be a good thing.

Edited by gennaro