Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building SS 40 S&W and casting own bullets

earplug

STI was nice enough to sponsor our steel shoot and I won a STI 1911 forged ramped frame.

I'm going to build a 40 S&W on it and I'm already set up to cast .452/.358,429 bullets.

Any suggestions on a ramped barrel that handles cast lead better then others? I recall KART is known for good shooting with lead 45 ACP.

I'd like to buy LEE six cavity molds to make the bullets, anyone do the same and what weight/models do you use.

I made M with a Kart barrel in my limited gun and home cast bullets.

The Lee 175gr TC 6 cavity was the only real serious option when I was casting. I used Thompson's Blue Angel for lube and Solo1000 for powder. Worked very well.

Edited by technetium-99m

I'm happy with the Lee 175-ish grain TC mould but after snapping off the sprue handle TWICE, I had a machinist friend affix a piece of steel flat stock, 2.5" x 1" to the end of the sprue plate so I could whack it in the conventional manner.

Did it with my 9mm and 45 Lee moulds as well.

Mark

Will check out the LEE 175. for my 40 mold.

II love the way the six banger makes a pile of bullets in a short time.And I tumble lube now. This looks like a easy project.

I don't think KART makes a Newlin/STI ramp cut barrel, been looking at my options.

I use the 6-cavity Lee 175gr Tumble Lube bullet: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/642322/lee-6-cavity-bullet-mold-tl401-175-swc-40-s-and-w-401-diameter-175-grain-tumble-lube-semi-wadcutter?cm_vc=ProductFinding I lightly lube them, size sometimes, and if I size lube again. Lee does not make their liquid Alox, they buy it from the successor to the Alox Corporation in bulk and repackage it. A guy named Lars does the same thing on the Cast Boolits website, and much cheaper. I cast using wheelweights, plus a little added Tin, and drop them from the mold into a bucket of water, for a much harder bullet. I do have one of the conventional grooved Lee bullet molds, but its bullets drop from the mold at .404" and sizing them is a pain. I actually like conventionally grooved and grease-type lubed bullets better, but the Tumble Lubed works. I have several Lubricator/Sizers, including two of the super fast Star machines, and they are about as fast for me as the Tumble Lube system.

I only use it for shooting Bowling Pin matches. It feeds and shoots well in my Beretta pistols, which have conventionally rifled barrels. I have no experience with Kart barrels, but the Brownell's website says they are throated for wadcutters, which means soft Lead. I have no experience with Polygonal bores mentioned above in pistols. Most of the discussion I see about cast bullets in non-conventionally rifled bores has to do with Glocks: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?33855-The-Truth-about-Glocks-and-Cast