Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EAA 9mm Limited Frame Work on 45 Hunter Slide

Well the other day I saw in the classified section the attached picture of this nice .45 ACP EAA Witness Hunter slide for sale along with 4 magazines. I enjoy a nice 6 inch as I like the long sight radius. So after figuring out how to explain to my wife why I was buying half of a gun it arrived today. It is my understanding right now that the EAA Limited's frame is the same as the Hunter Frame. So what I want to do is buy a EAA Limited in 9 mm and I am hoping the frame from that gun will work on the complete Hunter side I have. Any of you EAA/Tanfoglio Expert verify that this sounds like a workable plan. Thank you.

A little more background, I currently shoot USPSA, Steel Challenge and am slowing getting into 3 Gun. I know the .45 ACP is not the best caliber and that 40 would probably be the way to go bu I already have many 45 ACP pistols and 9 mm and really do not want to add 40 to the mix at this time. As mentioned above I really dig the 6 inch slide and am happy to adding this Hunter to the family. I also currently have an HK USP Elite and a Para Super Hawg with the 6 inch slides. Love the HK the Para, well its a Para......still needs some tweaking. But for many years now I have been a huge fan of the CZ 75 family of pistols and have been unable to afford and decide between either a nice CZ Custom or TS or going with the Tanfoglio. This Hunter has kinda helped me to decide and right now I know where a Limited in 9 mm is. So if I buying the 9 mm limited will work and the frame will interchangeable between it and the hunter slide I should end up with two very nice pistols! I figure this way I only have to get a the trigger all worked over on one frame this way and the bonus of having it cost much less than buying both a complete Hunter and Limited.

If this works I will now have another nice 45 acp to play with in limited 10, and if I feel like playing production I have a SAR K2 45 that is on the list as well as Star Megastar, Star 30M which too are also pretty much CZ 75 based guns. The Steel Challenge I shoot locally limits all divisions to 10 rounds, even open so .45 works great. Once I get a nice rifle going for 3 Gun the 9 mm Limited will work there since I do not have to worry about major or minor.

Well probably enough rambling for now. I appreciate anyone feedback and I have my fingers crossed that I researched and understood the Tanfoglio frames correctly. I was understanding that since 2005 all that EAA was bringing in was the large frame models. And I am fairly certain I have read that the Hunters are built on a Limited frame. Well hope someone can confirm this or even better someone that has Hunter and a Limited can put my mind at ease. Thanks again everyone!

Edited by pfcchambers

I was in a similar situation, but all my guns were .40s and 9s; I was dying to try a 6" Tanfoglio and the only one I could get my hands on was the .45. I ended up selling the .45 setup and the frame has worn a few different hats!

IMG_20130611_184822_004_zps3ccfa016.jpg

IMG_20130720_213431_804-1_zps5e438cab.jp

IMG_20131119_202647_916-1_zps090b48a4.jp

IMG_20140331_221247_570-1_zps59c54zvf.jp

Kneelingatlas-

Well what a small World! That is awesome, now I just start saving for my Limited in 9. I have found one here local for $1100 but with no tax. I do not believe the price is to largely inflated but either way I have a bit of saving to do, before the 9 comes home. Thanks again for all the great posts, I frequently read what you and Nealio I think he name is posts, you guys sure seem to know your CZ/Tanfoglios.

When I do get around to getting the limited in 9 mm, what trigger set up do you recommend? I mean is it better to just work on polishing up the stock trigger or is the Henning Trigger worth the price?

Another question for you just out of curiosity, how many rounds did the .45 Hunter slide see while you had it? It is definitely not new but does not look like it has been shot to horribly much.

When I do get around to getting the limited in 9 mm, what trigger set up do you recommend? I mean is it better to just work on polishing up the stock trigger or is the Henning Trigger worth the price?

I'm not crazy about the Henning trigger it uses a unique trigger return system which is easier to adjust but I don't like the squared edges on the trigger and it is quite a bit of money. You can get just as light a trigger using a regular trigger with the Cajun Gun Works reduced power trigger return spring for CZ, the sear spring for a CZ is also lighter than the Tanfo one; if you change those two, plus the trigger plunger spring and polish everything you should be good to go. On a SAO pistol I generally don't recommend changing the hammer spring to a lighter one because it's just a short cut to a lighter trigger, it can cause light strikes, and makes the trigger break less crisp.

I only shot about a hundred rounds through the Hunter .45 upper before I sold it. I have a 10mm Hunter on it's way I plan to rebarrel in .40 :devil:

I'm not a fan of flat triggers either. IMHO the stock Tanfoglio SA trigger is the best one I've felt. I run 14lb hammer springs and you can tell a tiny bit less pull weight from a 16, but then again I like to run a lot of positive sear engagement. If you surface the sear face and the hammer hooks so they are flat and paralell the hammer spring doesn't make any difference. I go more for feel than lightness. To me the CZ triggers are a lot lighter, but vague. I'd rather have a tiny bit more weight and a definite break point.

If you run the Henning XL firing pin, then a 14lb should give you 100% ignition. I have not had a light strike in the 17,000 rounds I've fired with the Henning firing pin and a 14lb spring.

Alright thank you both for that information. I will have plenty of time to further research and decide while I save up for the Limited in 9. That six inch Hunter converted to .40 will be one sweet gun. Today is like Tanfoglio overload I am getting way to excited about getting this project going.

I wish I could have kept it for my .460 Rowland plan, but know you will really get the use out of it. In the end, the 10mm selection of ammo out there covered anything I wanted to see with the Rowland with the added capacity benefit. I can't wait to see your assembled setup and hear some results!