Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Floating Hand

dajarrel

Hey guys/gals,

I just bought a 625-3 and when doing the initial cleaning and smoothing I noticed the hand flopping back and forth. My initial thought was "what a piece of 'cra;' I have bought but then remembered that I had read about this "floating hand" thing that S&W seemed to experiment with.

It didn't make any difference in the way it shot although I have read that it will put a small amount of drag on that smooth trigger you work for.

Keep it or trash/replace it??

dj

OBTW. It's just ugly, sitting there flopping around. My guns are shooters, not investment pieces, but I do have some standards. :D I'll probably change it just because I know its under the side plate if it's not too much trouble.

dj

This must be the newer style with the separate firing pin like my 627s. I have owned both tight and sloppy S&Ws with loose cylinders and too much end shake, however they are my most accurate guns and the ones I like to shoot the most. My "few" other revolver really wonder about these and my PPC buddies told me that I have just shot the gun out.....but that was in 1975 and I am still beating them with that same gun. Shoot them until they fall apart, they will probably last alot lnger than you & Me :-)

Spook, the floating hand is a "female" unit which fits over a post that is press-fit into the hole on the trigger which normally accommodates the pin on the hand.

dj, the floating hand causes trouble with the DA trigger pull in many, but not all, specimens. I've only seen floating hands installed on 625-2 "Model of 1988"s, but I've heard they show up occasionally on earlier 625-3s. Somewhere along in there the factory shitcanned the whole floating hand idea, mercifully. My thought is if your gun has a nice DA pull, don't worry about it--if you decide to put in a regular "male" hand, it may need to be fitted. The separate pin on the trigger will pull out easily with vise grips.

Mike

Thanks for clearing that up Mike. Seems like both my 625-2 model of 1988 and my 625-3 model of 1989 have floating hands. It does not seem to effect my DA trigger pull. It breaks at a nice 8.5 lbs. :D

I'm going to try to post two pictures of the floating hand. These were taken when I first got the gun and it was absolutley filthy. No oil and it looked like all the oil had turned to varnish. Cleaned up well and shoots great.

floating hand

floating hand 2

If this works out, I may go back and take another picture now that the gun is cleaned up.

dj