Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

nosediving follower

Mike21STI

I have one magazine with grams guts that has been giving me issues. The springs and followers are on the newer side (less than 300 rounds on it) it is nosediving causing feeding issues. How do I fix that?

When you say the follower is nosediving do you mean that a round is at the feed lips but crashes into the ramp, or that the follower doesn't make it all the way to the top of the mag?

If its the former look at the dimensions of your lips, I like them to open up slightly towards the front. If its the latter a clean tube and clean followers are essential.

Also, I've had some tubes that are too tight front to back and with the slightest bit of dust will cause the second problem mentioned, it cost me a lot of places at the Oilfield Classic.

I've seen the term "nosediving" before but what is it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

From my experience the top round hits the feed ramp and gets stuck and the front of the bullet below is angled downward and not pushing up equally (parallel or angled up to keep proper tension on the round below)

The "Enos bend" can help.

Also sometimes the spring pressure is too strong and when the slide strips the top round off it drags against the 2nd round and cams over and nosedives into the ramp. I usually cut about 1/2 coil off of the 11 coil springs to help relieve some of the pressure, or will let a new mag sit full for a few days. I believe this is more common with 9mm and 38 super than with super comp.

Another issue may be your feed ramp, but I'd try the simple stuff first.

There are probably pictures on here somewhere that shows it, but basically it's where you make a bend the third coil down to raise the front of the follower instead of the coil directly beneath the follower.