Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Asian Edition" of DVDs?

I'm looking through Amazon.com, considering buying the X-Files first season DVD. I check out some of the Used DVDs listed, and find this description:

"Comments: **ASIAN edition** Brand new with security seal. Content is same as US DVD, language, menus, etc, in English. Ships in 24 hrs. w. EMAIL DELIVERY CONFIRMATION + TRACKING. Bid with confidence!"

Any reason I shouldn't go for this? Any real difference between the "Asian edition" and what we'd buy down at the corner Borders in the US?

The Asian Edition usually means camcorder special for brand new movies. However, being that the X-files first season is so old, it'll probably be good copies. I'd only take a risk if the price is well below average and there is a return address.

A fair price for a black market dvd is about 1 dollar per dvd or 5 dollars if you add the tax ;)

DVD players sold in the US have a little security feature that only allows them to play "area 1" disks.

Asian, or European disks are not supposed to play.

Disks can be manufactured to play in all areas, but you can't assume anything.

I could be wrong...

:ph34r:

If your DVD player is multi-region then there should be no problem. Majority DVD players here in asia are multi-region. Also be carefull when choosing asian region Disc. I know there's a lot of region numbers for Asian Country

Good luck

DVD players sold in the US have a little security feature that only allows them to play "area 1" disks.

Asian, or European disks are not supposed to play.

Disks can be manufactured to play in all areas, but you can't assume anything.

I could be wrong...

:ph34r:

Most PC DVD'd players are manufactured "regionless", and set the region when you insert a disk. Also, there is a limit (generally 5) of the number of times these players can have the region changed.

If you're in the US, chances are your DVD player (PC or regular) is region coded unless you have specifically sought one out that is not, or found a version with an undocumented hack to turn the region restriction off.

Are US laws strict about re-programming players to play all regions? Most modern players only need to be re-programed via it's remote control, if you know the key sequence.

For PC DVD-ROM players, you can download freeware Region Killers so your CD-ROM drive doesn't lock into a specific region after a while.

Lastly, I've noticed most "Asian" DVD's doesn't carry the same bonus contents as Region 1 DVD's. US DVD's normally have lots more features.

;)

a buddy pick up a chinese edition of band of brothers, the only differances are having english and chinsese writing on the box and each disk asking what language you want the subtitles in (which you can turn off) .

and if we ever run into a problem with a dvd, we just break out the cheap apex dvd player, because those will play everything.