Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

21 rnds in 40 mag, is it possible?

Bill Schwab

I shoot an M&P 40 Pro in Limited and was wondering if anyone has modified a 40 mag to fit 21 rnds? If so, what basepad, spring and follower did you use? I'm using Taran's basepads and all my mags are a reloadable 20 rnds, and all I did was trim the followers. I'm considering a more aggressive trim on the followers to try to fit 21. Any advice is appreciated.

20 is pretty tight in the M&P tubes. I think that the limiting factor is the width of the tube. Perhaps some aggressive trimming of the follower and spring could get close, but I think that reliability could suffer. I will be interested if you can make it happen though.

• 1 month later...

Using an aggressively trimmed follower, brand new unmodified stock mag spring, and Taran basepad I did it, 21 rnds in a 40 cal M&P mag. I haven't shot it yet, but I loaded/unloaded it a number of times and it felt & cycled just like an unmodified follower. I'll give it a try this coming weekend. The loaded mag can be seated with slide forward, but it's tough...I wouldn't use it for a reload.

• 3 weeks later...

Do you think that mod could be used on glock followers to get 21? I can 20 in all 3 of mine but can't reload to it. I download to 19 for all my reloads. Are you able to reload to that magazine?

P.s. I'm using dawson bases and have sanded the followers per their instructions.

Hmm yea my followers are still most all of the original thickness/size, I just chamfered all the edges so they slide past the body-base joint. Otherwise they get stuck at like 17 rounds. Maybe I will test it and report on my findings.