Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Doing some change-ups, need some input

Headworked

I have always used an ACE full sized stock, and JP lowmass rifle buffer system. Got a JP Stainless Lowmass carrier, an 18" JP barrel, and a rifle length adjustable SLR Sentry gas block. I have a 1x6 optic, and with it on 6x, the eyebox becomes a little harder to settle into quickly with respect to cheek weld, especially if theres been a lot of running.

At the last 3gun match at Rockcastle, I shouldered a few of the other rifles buddies were shooting, and the guys who are using the 6 position carbine style stocks have it figured out! With the stock in close, and nose getting close to charging handle, the weld position is easier to hit without thinking about it...

I purchased a MissionFirst Tactical stock and tube, and am looking for some input on where to start with the carbine buffer system...I realize its going to be a complete re-tune, but with all the wild builds i see on here, someone has been there done that Im sure... Right now, Ive got a standard carbine spring and buffer... Ive seen the Taccom units, but i am a little leary about getting too light, and getting 'bounce' going into battery. Any thoughts?

You're already running an adjustable gas block with the jp low mass carrier, to get the last bit of performance throw in the jp silent capture spring, it is already carbine length and will give you a nice smooth setup. It is pricey but proven, I love mine. You won't look back. JF

Try the Taccom first and see what you think, it's cheap enough. I switched all my race guns except my 308 over to the ULW buffer from the JP SCS. There's no "bounce" and my dot never leaves the target now. Besides that my rifle lost a lot of weigh.

I picked up several gizmos that you guys suggested, thanks for the input. I got the JP captured buffer spring from Shooters Connection, and also standard carbine buffer and spring. So, here's a little update on all the parts tried out in gun:

MissionFirst Tactical stock fit very nicely, and the anti-snag para-cord addition works well also.

The standard carbine buffer system works ok, but is noisy, and is just ok. I will need to get different weights of buffers to optimize this option (Taccom ULW, H1, H3, etc).

The JP captured spring buffer runs awesome! it is a bit heavy, but is very quiet, and worth the coin for how smooth it operates.

The Hiperfire 24C trigger is impressive! it has a very nice break, resets smoothly, and is easy to get nice doubles at 25-35 yds in the A zone. Only complaint i had with this setup as a drop-in, it does not want to function well with the JP ambi safety set screw, so went back to a mil-spec left side safety for now.

The Lancer L15 lower is beautiful, and I love the fit and finish of the replaceable mag wells. I will be drawing the current aluminum magwells in cad, and machining them out of delrin plastic going forward, to shave some additional weight, and give me something else to tinker with!

With the addition of the collapseable stock, I was able to move my 1x6 scope forward a bit, which allows an easier cheek weld towards the charging handle. I'm running the stock in the 3rd position, and the reduced length of pull feels comfortable, and allows for good quick sight pictures. I sighted this new package in after work yesterday at 25 yards, then went to the Weds night indoor carbine match to see how it worked. Was very happy with the performance of all parts, and it allowed me to shoot the rifle faster, and more accurately. I tried tuning on the SLR sentry gas block, but it was pretty close to begin with, so a click in closed direction wouldnt hold bolt open after last shot. I will now tweak on the muzzle brake a little, and then get this thing cerakoted when summer gets here. I will try to get some pics posted up soon.