Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken Shell plate

I have no idea how it happened. I don't remember any force being applied to the press. I have not reloaded in a couple of weeks and just went out yesterday to prepare for an upcoming match and noticed the tipping cases.

I'm sure Dillon will replace. I was just posting in case anyone else had similar problems.

They likely want to see if you have applied swaging force to the shell plate, using after market products. Hard to do that damage seating primers.

The bottom of the shell plate isn't what would take swaging force.

Seems strange those ears would break without noticing.

And I'm not saying I didn't do anything wrong I just don't recall doing anything wrong.

I told the tech at Dillon if it is something so abnormal that it could only be done with excessive force on my part then let me just buy a new shell plate.

But I can't for the life of me remember doing anything like that. I have a Dillon 550 and have never had a problem like that.

And I'm not saying I didn't do anything wrong I just don't recall doing anything wrong.

I told the tech at Dillon if it is something so abnormal that it could only be done with excessive force on my part then let me just buy a new shell plate.

But I can't for the life of me remember doing anything like that. I have a Dillon 550 and have never had a problem like that.

And I wasn't implying you did something wrong, I would just think, even if the shell plate had a manufacturing defect or weakness, you would have noticed when it happened if you were watching what you were doing. But, maybe your attention was elsewhere when it happened.

And I wasn't implying you did something wrong, I would just think, even if the shell plate had a manufacturing defect or weakness, you would have noticed when it happened if you were watching what you were doing. But, maybe your attention was elsewhere when it happened.

Sure, certainly possible.

I broke my 9mm shell plate in the same place where yours is broken. Dillon gave me the option of sending in the plate and when it was received, they would send me another one Or, I could give them my cc# and if I did not return the shell plate within (and I can't remember if it was 2 or 3 weeks), the n my cc would be charged.

Dillon could not believe my plate was broken and I had the same discussion as you. However, they did step up and offered an new one without a hassle, but with a friendly discussion.

I broke my 9mm shell plate in the same place where yours is broken. Dillon gave me the option of sending in the plate and when it was received, they would send me another one Or, I could give them my cc# and if I did not return the shell plate within (and I can't remember if it was 2 or 3 weeks), the n my cc would be charged.

Dillon could not believe my plate was broken and I had the same discussion as you. However, they did step up and offered an new one without a hassle, but with a friendly discussion.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Did you notice when it specifically happened? Were you doing anything in particular? Did Dillon mention if it was a plate issue or something else?

^^^^^^^^^

I did not notice when it happened. I just happen to notice that it was cracked. I do not know how or when it cracked. I just by accident happened to see it when I was changing the shell plate for a different caliber.

No comment from Dillon other than total surprise that I had a cracked shell plate. Judging from the conversation with Dillon, my thoughts are that the breakage was a very rare situation.

^^^^^^^^^

I did not notice when it happened. I just happen to notice that it was cracked. I do not know how or when it cracked. I just by accident happened to see it when I was changing the shell plate for a different caliber.

No comment from Dillon other than total surprise that I had a cracked shell plate. Judging from the conversation with Dillon, my thoughts are that the breakage was a very rare situation.

Agree, Mike the tech I talked to seemed very surprised.

The GS swager could not cause that kind of damage. If you crashed it hard enough, the damage would be a chip or dent on the same circumference as the center of the primer pocket, not on the outer ears.

Because the 650 decaps in station 1, and station 1 is the only place where those ears aren't supported, I suspect this is the result of a decapping "incident". If a decap pin folded up in a case, a decap assembly adjusted low could bottom out hard and put a lot of stress on those ears.

Still, they probably shouldn't break off like that, and it's good that Dillon is fixing it.

Do you use case lube? The reason I ask is that a friend of mine would reload 9mm without any lube and after about 20,000 he broke his shell plate exactly as yours did. He didn't realize how much extra force he was applying until I convinced him to try some case lube ...

Can't be sure that was the cause but it sure didn't help ...

Edited by Nimitz

I don't normally use case lube. I tried a few times with Hornady one shot and powder stuck to sides of case.

I probably didn't let it dry long enough before using.

Don't spray the cases, spray into a container of some kind, then add the brass, and shake. No lube will get inside the case.

jj

I had the same thing happen to my 9mm shell plate..... I sent it to dillon, they sent me a new one.... No problem but the down time.

More then likely the reason it happened was that the platform is not in alignment, the shell plate is not in the right spot when the primer punch is coming up.

It probably happened a number of times until the shell plate couldn't take the stress any more.... They have a alignment tool that they will send you free, some have had to pay shipping - some not.... I would suggest you call them and ask about the alignment tool, and ask if they will put it in with the new shell plate - ask them how much and offer to pay for the tool and shipping. They will likely take care of you free of charge if your the non-pushy type..... ;)

This is also a good reason to have a spare conversion kit for each caliber you are running, if you have an issue like this - grab your extra shell plate and send off the damage to Dillon, no down time while they replace it...

+1 on the case lube.... Spray into a plastic ziplock a bit, ya don't need much. than close it up and toss that brass salad....

dump them into the case feeder and away you go...

Good Luck...

Try some Royal Case and Die Lube. You don't have to let it dry and it works very well with the bag-and-shake method RiggerJJ mentioned.

Disclosure: I do sell it, but you can get it from Midway or CTD or wherever as well.