Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon dies and LFC

JSkala

Ok have a quick question...I'm using the Dillon dies and the Lee Factory Crimp die. On some of the finished cases its a perfect hour glass and there is no "bump" at the base of the bullet on the outside of the case. Some of the cases have a slight "bump" on just the one side at the base of the bullet. I'm at a loss of how to fix this? Thanks guys.....

If you are using mixed brass, the inside case wall begins to thicken at different distances from the mouth of the case, check a few and see which brand of brass gets the "bump". You can then sort your brass and load that brand a little longer.

Yes I'm using mixed brass. This little "bump" does not cause any problems with chambering and is very hard to see. I really don't want to sort brass unless I have to in order to fix a problem. I cant figure out why this is on one side and not the other, bullet seems to be straight. Using bayou's

Some of the cases have a slight "bump" on just the one side at the base of the bullet.

You are seating your bullets crooked. You can search the forums for the causes and solutions as this has come up several times.

My fix is using a seating die that works better with my bullets.

As wide45 said, you are seating some of the bullets crooked. It doesn't take much to produce this effect, and the bullets will look straight to the naked eye. They will show runout if you check them against a dial indicator.

I first encountered this with a brand new square deal B. The factory assembled the seating die just a little off true center. Easily fixed on that machine, and easily fixed on others. Make sure you set up dies with brass in every position on the shell plate will help a great deal. You should also try flipping the seating stem on the Dillon Die to see if that works better with your bullet profile. The hot glue mod of the seating stem might work well for you if you only use one bullet profile.

Hope this helps.

You should also try flipping the seating stem on the Dillon Die to see if that works better with your bullet profile.

From what I've seen, having this flipped wrong and not having enough bell are the two main causes of problems with seating bullets.