Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does the flat bottom FPS really make a difference in 2011 guns?

I have looked at a few stock 2011 and they come with the angled FPS. i looked at my freinds Brazzo's limited gun and it came with a beveled one.

I have read a lot about how the flat ones reduce felt recoil. seems like these are more 1911 guns with heavy mainsprings in the 23# range and shooting full load 45 hardball.

So does the flat FPS have the same effect on 2011 guns with light mainsprings and recoil springs?

I have read a lot about how the flat ones reduce felt recoil.

Forgive me as I am not a 1911 shooter, but I know Henning made square stops to combat the early problems of cracked slides/frames on the 10mm Tangoflios; the idea was to delay the opening of the slide to dissipate more of the energy into the shooter's arms before unlocking the slide to avoid battering the gun.

So does the flat FPS have the same effect on 2011 guns with light mainsprings and recoil springs?

It seems to me it has the opposite effect of those mods.

Edited by kneelingatlas

Many years ago (over 30/40), bulls eye shooters believed the square firing pin stop aided in maintaining a longer lock up of the barrel/slide, hence more accuracy/tighter groups.

It has never been proved or disproved, but there again, it does make it harder to cycle the slide, so it may in fact prolong the lock up.

This idea has carried over through the years with some of the guys who are familar with it or have as of late, just heard of it, but probably can't explaine why:)

Personally, I see no advantage in our discipline of shooting and I want a nice rounded radius to initiate the recocking of the hammer. Not a square edge.

This was back when we were still building 1911s by peening the rails and tightening the slides in the vise:)

Jack