Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New X-series production legal? Details and differences?

mike g35

I'm sure this has been covered but I couldn't find it so here it goes. Are the new X series Allround (AKA X5-E Allround) pistols legal in USPSA production? I'm trying to decide between the P226 X5 Allround and the new X5-E Allround but I want to be sure the "E" is legal.

Also, what (besides obvious external differences are there? Does the new X series Alllround have the SRT? Does it even need it?

What other differences are there between these two pistols?

The Sig X-5 all around is on the list. The new one is just an update of the old one. No major changes except for the cosmetic ones to the slide. sigsauer.de shows it as approved for IPSC. I could be wrong, but I can't see why it wouldn't be approved. Maybe we can pretend it's a FNS longslide, they shot those for months before you could get one. I do have a new X-5 AR on the way.

Any chance you're going to have any goodies for the new ones?

I have made some printed parts for my X-Line.

X5_Entry_zps345c6ad8.jpg

Currently there is a company in Europe working on aftermarket parts for the X-Line guns so I most likely will not be producing any parts.

I'd say at least half of the Sig models listed on the Production gun list are cosmetic variations of a handful of models, but they're still all listed. Since Sig has a different model designation (226 X5 vs X5-E), it will end up listed separately. Whether anyone at a local match will care, probably not.

I've decided to stick with the original 226 Allround 9mm. The reason I decided to buy the new gun was because of how well my 226 Elite Dark fits my hand. I don't want the new ergonomics.

Now, what holster to buy for the 226 Allround for USPSA production? Looking at a standard bladetech OWB belt holster and a maybe a BOSS DOH hanger.

Well I shot my new X-5 today and while it's extremely accurate, it doesn't have the SRT trigger. It has well over 3/8 inch of takeup after the trigger resets. Just running it quick at the range, I had trigger freeze a number of times missing the reset. My 226 Elite has the SRT and it's a night and day difference between the two. I can't believe they market this thing as a competition gun with that trigger. I'll call Sig and see if it can be upgraded. It's just a shame it doesn't come standard on a gun that costs as much as this one does. I did weigh it and it'll make weight for IDPA with a little work on the grips. My scale showed 43.6 oz's with a Mecgar mag. Don't know if it will fit the box or not. Recoil is minimal and it points really nice. Anyone ever install the SRT kit themselves?

It won't fit in the IDPA box as is. I know someone who got it to fit by having the beavertail reduced. I think he also had some material removed from the dust cover to make weight at the same time.

The SRT kit is only a sear and safety lever. Installing it is not a problem, although to be honest, I have no idea if it will fit in an X5 Allround. If your X5 is SAO, you can't use the SRT. It's my understanding that it only works with DA/SA guns.

Edited by JAFO

It is a DA/SA. I was going to get a SAO, but I got this from a guy who got it off the prize table at a three gun match. I got a good deal on it, so I can afford to upgrade some. Do all Sigs come with that amount of takeup on the DA/SA guns? I really don't care about IDPA either, I'd rather shoot Production with it. Like it was said here, I don't think anyone would care at a local match.

Yeah, stock Sig triggers tend to have quite a bit of takeup after the reset. I did a little digging, and the SRT will work in your gun. It will be a big improvement in the reset distance, but because it's a new sear, it could also have an effect on the feel of your trigger pull. The sear and hammer are supposed to be hand-fitted parts in the X series guns, so it might degrade the feel of your trigger.

I think if it's the sear that needs to be changed, I'll let Sig do it. They offer an SRT install for $99.00 plus $55 shipping. I gonna try to bend there ear a little about it not being included on a X-5. Other than that the gun's very nice. Thanks for your help!!!

Edited by Marv Z

I haven't decided whether or not I'm gonna send mine to Sig, Grays, or if I'm going to do it myself but I am most likely going to install the SRT. Sigs have a really long reset typically, unless the SRT is installed. I'm going to shoot the gun first to be sure but I'm almost positive that will be a necessary change. Does it void the factory warranty if I install the SRT? Sig sells them so I don't see why it would.

For a holster I bought a Bladetech Black Ice OWB holster along with the BOSS hanger from Ben Stoegers Pro Shop.

Next question.

Does anyone know the stock sight height on the X5 Allround? I'm going to install a fiber optic sight in the front and I want to get the correct height. I was going to send it to Dawson Precision to have the sights installed but I think I'm just gonna buy a sight tool and do it myself.

I think if it's the sear that needs to be changed, I'll let Sig do it. They offer an SRT install for $99.00 plus $55 shipping. I gonna try to bend there ear a little about it not being included on a X-5. Other than that the gun's very nice. Thanks for your help!!!

If you are going to send it to Sig, you might consider asking them how much it would be to add their AEP (Action Enhancement Package) to better mate the new sear and hammer.

I haven't decided whether or not I'm gonna send mine to Sig, Grays, or if I'm going to do it myself but I am most likely going to install the SRT. Sigs have a really long reset typically, unless the SRT is installed. I'm going to shoot the gun first to be sure but I'm almost positive that will be a necessary change. Does it void the factory warranty if I install the SRT? Sig sells them so I don't see why it would.

It should not void your warranty. To be safe, you could just keep the original parts and reinstall them if you ever need to send it in for warranty work.

On your sight, Dawson's website says to measure your sight from the top of the slide to the top of the sight blade. With the adjustable rear, you really only need to get close. Keep in mind, if they don't have one you want listed under Sig front sights, Springfield uses the same dovetail for the XD. For my P226, I wanted a Patridge-type flat-faced front sight instead of the ramped sights they have for Sig, so I ordered one for an XD. It required some fitting, but I went slowly and it stayed in place quite well.

They want $199 for the AEP plus then the SRT for another hundred. This on a "competition ready pistol". Not too crazy about having to drop another 3 bills to get it to work as well as my 226 Elite which was a whole bunch cheaper to buy. We'll see what they have to say.

They want $199 for the AEP plus then the SRT for another hundred. This on a "competition ready pistol". Not too crazy about having to drop another 3 bills to get it to work as well as my 226 Elite which was a whole bunch cheaper to buy. We'll see what they have to say.

I decided I didn't want to pay an additional $300 + shipping either. I'm going to install an SRT kit myself. One would think these would be standard on the X5 Allround. But for me the fact that it's not isn't a deal breaker. My main reason for buying the gun was the longer sight radius and the heavier weight. If I can get the trigger on my X5 to be as good as my 226 Elite I'll be happy with that. Anything better than that will just be a plus.

I decided I didn't want to pay an additional $300 + shipping either. I'm going to install an SRT kit myself. One would think these would be standard on the X5 Allround. But for me the fact that it's not isn't a deal breaker. My main reason for buying the gun was the longer sight radius and the heavier weight. If I can get the trigger on my X5 to be as good as my 226 Elite I'll be happy with that. Anything better than that will just be a plus.