Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide mounted redot for Glock 42?

cworks

Long story short... Wife wants a .380 with a red dot. Not for competition but if she wants to shoot with me I'll buy whatever she wants. I don't own a Glock but the 42 looks to be a decent platform to mount the sight.

2 part Question:

1. the 42 is .836 wide what sight will be thin enough

2. How easy is it to manipulate the slide on a 42

If you know of any other pistols that will accept a red fit I'm open to ideas.

Glock 26 if she wants small carry size or glock 19 if bigger is done. The recoil between that and a 380 is about the same and a 9mm is easy to load for and there are dovetail red dot mounts avaliable. A smaller lighter 380 ment for carry will be less pleasant to shoot than a bigger 9mm which can be downloaded as well

Edited by EkuJustice

The issue is she isn't very strong and has small hands so manipulating the slide is the major concern. She has a Walther P22 and PK 380 and can work the slide pretty easily. She cannot work the slide on my XDM 40 or XDS 45... She also isn't very comfortable handling guns in front of people, especially a bunch of dudes in a store... im just going to have to play with a couple and see what I think she will like. Worst case, I get a new gun!

What's the budget? Despite what a few folks here have said, the Glock 42 is a bit of a pussycat even compared to a 19. The .380 gets a bad rap because it can be punishing to shoot out of a blowback gun like a PPK but in a locked breach pistol it shoots like a 9mm light. The slide on the 42 is easier to rack too. And I would bet you could put a Trijicon RMR w Trijicon Glock mount no problemo. But that would be a pretty expensive purse gun.

no budget... thats kinda what i was hoping to build, but the RMR is pretty wide. JPoint seems to be the thinest at 1" and from what I could find the 42's slide is .836 so there would be a little overhang

no budget... thats kinda what i was hoping to build, but the RMR is pretty wide. JPoint seems to be the thinest at 1" and from what I could find the 42's slide is .836 so there would be a little overhang

The Glock 42 rear sight dovetail is the same size as all the other Glocks. So if you go that route the insert for the optic will work on the G42.

There will be some overhang but I don't think there's an RDS out there that would avoid overhang - at least not one built to ride a moving slide.

The Trijicon RMR mount (I use on on my G35) uses a set screw inside the dove tail to force a tight fit and so while it may overhang would be very secure.

I don't have a racker on my G35 and have no problem racking it with the RMR in place. Should be easier with a 42.

If you build one, post pics!

I bought her the LCP with the Crimson Trace Laser. She likes the laser but hates the gun...I hate it too.... she wants something thats easier to aim and be able to shoot steel with me. She asked for a red dot and some ammo so Im gonna give her what she wants.

Edited by cworks

I'm running an RMR on an M&P with reduced recoil spring. If you went with a M&Pc, you could download 9 ammo and it would be a pussycat to shoot. I had my RMR milled in (not an adapter) and the damn thing is solid. I use the rmr to rack it, it's basically a big handle hanging off the top of the slide. I've tried off tables, belts, shoes, and they all work.

So in addition to the dot making it easier to aim, it's much easier to rack. Now I also have regular sight on it, too, as it is an SD gun as well, so even broken electronics mean the gun runs. I also have the always on RMR so there's less small stuff to break.

no just something to shoot. she hates shooting paper and likes to shoot steel. I handled the 4.25 M&P CORE and I like it. The slide was fairly easy to manipulate and I wont have to pay extra $$$ to have the slide milled or buy and adaptor.