Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jumped in head first! I'm hooked!

Well I've been on the fence for so long I decided this was the year to try out 3gun. I've done local action pistol style matches for a couple years now and they were a blast but I'm so glad I got off the fence and tried out 3gun.

I pieced everything together and this is my current setup. CR speed blade tech belt, blade tech holster and rifle / pistol mag pouches. Two EZ8 shotshell caddies. Rifle is Smith & Wesson M&P Vtac (got a great deal and has good trigger and free float barrel an rail that I like) with a vortex PST 1-4 scope. Pistol is S&W M&P pro 5" 9mm with small backstrap and stipple job. Have 10-8 basepads (they're smaller, aluminum and fit my hand better than factory ones). Shotgun is a Mossberg JM 930 pro with a matchsaverz.

Yesterday was my intro class to three gun. We had some classroom time discussing safety, classifications, rules, etc. There was one stage setup for us to run and we walked through it, got to ask questions then gave it a go. Afterwards we talked about things we noticed and more importantly the guys that helped set the day up talked with us about things they noticed. Then we ran it a second time. I took a little over 30 seconds off my time between going through the stage twice. I learned that I need to practice just one style shotgun reloading cause under the timer my brain turned to mush and while in my head I would think "ok turn shotgun an load two" my body would raise shotgun to load four. Overall I had an absolute blast and I can't wait until my first real match next weekend!

Just figured I would pass it along to anyone reading this forum as a guest or anyone on the fence. If you think pistol matches are fun, definitely give 3gun a try!

Sounds like a great set up. Focusing on one primary style of loading is a good suggestion. Also, ensure that when you are walking through your stage plan ensure that you include the proper motions to mimic your reloading.

Thanks Alma! I think that was part of my problem yesterday. I did the walk thru but was counting shots more than anything and didn't mimic anything. I need to work on more reloading practice so that way when the timer beeps and I get the adrenaline rush and my brain goes to mush I have muscle memory to help me out.

Talking about the planning on the walk through when that little buzzer goes off everything i plan just seems to dissapear when all the addrenalin starts pumping but i absolutely love it WHAT A RUSH!!!! Im also still a rookie... :surprise:

Talking about the planning on the walk through when that little buzzer goes off everything i plan just seems to dissapear when all the addrenalin starts pumping but i absolutely love it WHAT A RUSH!!!! Im also still a rookie... :surprise:

Yeah it's a rush for sure. I'm definitely rookie status and the shotgun is going to be my biggest challenge. Practice makes perfect and I've got some ideas for some drills I could do at the local range when I can make time to get there. I have a timer that I used a lot to get better at pistol so I'll be using that for some shotgun training.

Great starting set up! It looks a lot like my own gear list. I have the same vortex PST 1-4, CR speed belt, Smith and Wesson M&P pro 5", and a mossberg 930, but it's the Rhythm model.

I have family in the Minneapolis and St. Paul area that I'm going to go see this summer and have been looking at finding a match to hit while I am there. Really wanted to get in on the Nordic shotgun match, but it was well beyond filled by the time I started looking into it. Does Forest lake have a match every month?

If you manage to hear of any matches near the end of July in your area, and happen to remember, would you mind sending me a PM with the info? I'll be doing some looking, but help is always nice. Good luck and have fun at your match!

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking to jump in too. I live in Fargo and was planning on heading to Bismarck for my first match tomorrow and just found out this week that all matches are cancelled. The closest 3gun matches in ND is all the way out in Minot.

I wanted to go to that instructional day but they were already booked. I see there's a match next Sunday at PIPS. I need to talk to someone and see if that would be a good match to get my feet wet.

Check out MN3gungroup. It has all of the match schedules on there along with other good info.