Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Critique Please

ZackJones

In another thread someone suggested I upload a video so you guys could review and offer tips. I've decided to upload two from the Area 6 match. This is my son and myself shooting stage 11. I know I have lots of room for improvement (bumbled reloads, moving like a turtle, backing out of shooting area instead of turning and running, etc.) Points wise I scored 128 of the 150 points available and my hits where 21 A, 1 B, 6 C, and 2 D. Time was 24.74 and HF was 5.1738. For my son, Terry, he scored 126 points with hits of 19 A, 10 C and 1 D. His time was 22.40 and his HF was 5.6250. We're both D class production shooters - in fact we finished first and second in D class (yes we were the only two D class production shooters there) :). We're both committed to doing well and appreciate your feedback.

Me

Terry

It says video unavailable when I click from my mobile.

That's odd. Not sure how to correct that problem :(

It says video unavailable from my computer as well. However if you click the "youtube" logo on the bottome right corner it will pull the videos up on youtube.

Edited by Prov1x

I would suggest working on your grip a bit more. Your support hand needs to be a bit higher on the gun and rotated more down the line of the gun to achieve the "wrist lock" of your tendons. That should help with your recoil control a little bit.

Going into the first set of targets you could have had your gun up a bit sooner coming into that position and start shooting as you enter instead of waiting until you are there.

On the middle array of targets with the low shots, it's hard to tell on video, that maybe you could have come in on them differently. Maybe shot them left to right instead of right to left. That way you weren't in such an odd position that you put yourself in and backed out of that shooting area. Although I think even the way you engaged them that you could have rotated your hips more and came out of that area more of at an angle instead of backing straight up.

Then when you engaged the next array, I would have engaged them right to left, backing out of that shooting area on the last target which was a wide open target.

I'm an A class production shooter so take my review for what it's worth....

I couldn't see all of the targets, but it looked like the vast majority were 10 yards or less. At those distances, it is vital that you shoot all A zone hits. Minor scoring is very unforgiving. It is also important to get those reloads finished as soon as possible. In the words of Rob Leatham, "It is not who gets there first. It is who gets there first ready to shoot." I agree with Prov1x that you need to shoot the arrays in the order that allows you to shoot as soon as you get there, and perhaps be shooting as you leave. If you can't shoot as you leave, shoot the array in the order that allows the most efficient and fluid movement.

For Zach, that stop on the first target looks like a huge time drain. Getting into and out of positions can really eat up the clock and having to do it for one target like that which looked to be at medium distance will definitely hurt. I think I would have tried to advance on the move slowly and hit it on the move with moderate split times. As someone else said it didn't look like you were ready to shoot at any of the positions. At that second stop you should have already had the gun up and should have been squeezing off shots while you settled into position. If possible get that gun up a step and start aiming a step or two before you get where you need to be to ensure that you can start shooting as soon as the target becomes visible and you stabilize to the extent that it is needed. I also agree that I would have shot the targets after the window in the opposite order since it would be easier to index on the right side targets going in and I could start my momentum moving backwards while shooting the last target on the right.

As for Terry it looked like the biggest problem you had was getting your magazine changes done in time to be ready to shoot at the next position.

Guessing it is set as to not allow viewing while embedded from another website. It should be a checkbox on the settings

Guessing it is set as to not allow viewing while embedded from another website. It should be a checkbox on the settings

This is probably the case. You'll have to go to "advanced settings:"

http://i.imgur.com/YdzJCxk.png

I forget how to have it on by default.

More for Terry,

I couldn't tell why at first but for some reason you looked very stiff while shooting.

I think you are locking up your entire upper body including your head when moving from target to target.

It's causing your transitions from one target to the next to be very abrupt and its taking you too long to get your shots off on the next target.

You need to ensure that as soon as you shoot one target that you start moving your head and eyes to find the next target. Since your eyes will be on the spot you want to shoot it makes it much easier to bring your gun onto that stop quickly without over swinging, which is something that is easy to do if you follow your sights while transitioning which is what it looks like you are doing.

It's hard to say given that I can't see the angles through that window but if at all possible try to minimize the number of times you have to move your feet to shoot all of those targets.

Looking again at Terry it looks like part of your problem with not being ready to shoot when you arrive at your new position is that you are not starting your reloads soon enough. There is a big difference at where Zach starts to reload versus Terry. I think Terry would have no problem getting those reloads in but needs to be dropping that old mag as soon as he starts moving towards the next target versus a step or two along the way.

Edited by alma

Thanks for all of the feedback and assistance with the video. I checked YouTube is embedding setting is enabled. Terry and I really appreciate your critiques. We know we have a lot to work on but you guys have pointed out things we have missed. Keep 'em coming!