Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need 3 Gun AR build advice

mikemike22

After already doing a relatively-no-holds barred build over the winter, looking back I admit I could have gotten 90% of the performance benefits with pretty much any name brand complete rifle (S&W, DPMS, etc...) , a fancy trigger, a comp, and an adjustable gas block.

Boom. $800 out the door and I'd be rippin' it up all season long.

Despite all my personal agonizing, I feel AR barrels are overrated unless you're building a dedicated 600 yard plus gun. I'm assuming most of your targets are at 25yards or less- It's going to be close to impossible to tell the difference between a "match" barrel and some stock DPMS tube poking doubles on cardboard with factory ammo. It's certainly not going to be a limiting factor.

Edited by BitchinCamaro

Ar15performance has 16" lightweight mid-length barrles in stock.

http://ar15performance.com/barrels

If I were doing everything over again I would probably have gotten this (I'm using a 18" rifle length now).

Also, if you'e going to be at the indy NRA show, there are multiple companies that are paying participants to take user review surveys after going to the show. The last offer I had was for $79 to fill out a clipboard worth of paperwork. It's not huge money, but you can put it towards your build if you're there anyway.

Google should lead the way.

Edited by BitchinCamaro

I'm assuming most of your targets are at 25yards or less- It's going to be close to impossible to tell the difference between a "match" barrel and some stock DPMS tube poking doubles on cardboard. It's certainly not going to be a limiting factor.

You must be referring to 3gun nation stages. Nah, I'll take my JP barrels and shoot out to 600 all day.

I'm assuming most of your targets are at 25yards or less- It's going to be close to impossible to tell the difference between a "match" barrel and some stock DPMS tube poking doubles on cardboard. It's certainly not going to be a limiting factor.

You must be referring to 3gun nation stages. Nah, I'll take my JP barrels and shoot out to 600 all day.

haha, yes, that was the stated assumption. Out here in UT there are quite a few precision rifle/pistol matches where $700 of barrel is worth every inch/penny.

I'm just saying that if he's on a budget, I just don't think saving up for the nicest barrel that's not available is going to help him get his gun into the game (Unless his game is only long distance). Plus, if he shoots enough he'll soon find out that barrels are wear items. At 25 yards, it's a pretty good place to save some scratch.

Thanks for advice, and I will be at the show today and tomorrow. BitchinCamaro, good idea on the surveys. I thought I already had the 16" vs. 18" debate tackled and settled on 18", but I have been thinking of 16" again. I still want a decent barrel, maybe not a $400 one though. I will be shooting mostly 3 gun around Indiana (Indiana multigun). I went to a match at Wildcat and there was a stage at 150 yrds.

I agree on a tight fitting barrel to receiver..

I won't use one that isn't a tight fit

When I pulled the barrel off my JP I noticed that they had shimmed the barrel to the upper receiver for a tighter fit!

Doug

So how did they shim it?

Went to the NRA show yesterday with a friend. We are fortunate to live in Indy. Well back to plan A, that's what happens when you see all of the AR goodness in person. More importantly is meeting the vendors and you can tell which ones are truly passionate about our sport and their products.

A big shout out to Black Rain Ordnance, they were all extremely friendly and helpful. I talked to one of the 3 Gun shooters, they shoot their PG-11 pretty much right out of the box. Check out their new drop in trigger the BRO-DIT, feels great. Check out the Modular 15" rail/handguard BRO-MOD-15, feels nice, looks great, strong, and comes in at only 8.8 ozs. I have a strong feeling that a lot of my build will consist of parts from BRO. I would feel really good about doing business with them.

A shout out to Lancer Systems as well, again very nice guys. Loads of carbon fiber goodness, need I say more. Their carbon handguards are really strong and nice looking. I think one of their carbon shotgun magazine extensions will be adoring my new Beretta 1301 Comp 24" very soon. The carbon coolness factor. Their rifles are nice as well.

One last shout out to NEMO Arms, wow if you are looking for a .300 Win Mag, the OMEN // PRATKA

.300 WIN MAG AR is a great deal. Under 10lbs, just awesome. They have some really cool finishes as well. They were super nice and very knowledgeable. That rifle is supposed to have really soft recoil.
On a side note the larger companies are obviously less personable, The guys manning the Colt AR's in particular left a bad taste in my mouth. Sig had a huge area, but I found them to be very knowledgeable and friendly for a large company. Had a good demonstration on the new P320, VERY nice.
I walked away with tons of swag, awesome. I'll give more info later when I get a chance. I'm obviously gonna be out of control on this build, lol.