Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock G34 Upper: Availability and Appropriate Price?

jkrispies

Thinking out loud.

I have a Gen 2 G17 with grip and trigger done by Taran Tactical-- AMAZING work there. Unfortunately, the barrel fit has always been sloppy (If you own a Gen 1 or 2, you know what I mean) and the only way to effectively fix it is via a custom-fitted barrel. It's a very good gun, but there's still room for improvement.

Having said that, at some point in the future I'd like a G34 set up with the same TTi trigger and grip. Kinda dreamt that I'd eventually get a TTi G34 and "semi-retire" this G17 as a backup... but I don't see that happening due to funds.

The new Gen3 G34's have great barrels with solid lockups. So... I'm considering keeping an eye out for a lightly used G34 upper takeoff and just buying that to throw on the TTi frame I already own. Relative to getting a new aftermarket barrel and fitting it to fix my Gen2 slop, I'm thinking this idea may not be that much more expensive and could solve two problems at once by making this frame more accurate while also giving me a G34 to add to my arsenal.

So, if this might turn into a plan:

1. Are "takeoff" uppers like this really out there? (Thinking some might be out there with the success of ZEV and Lone Wolf slides, etc.?)

2. What would be a fair price for an upper like this?

Thanks,

J

1) yes, check gunbroker, glockmeister also has them.

2) around $350-400

If it were me I'd get a lone wolf slide, kkm barrel, and build it up with the components you want it'll cost a little more but it'll be exactly what you want.

Steve

Edited by Steven420

The grip work prohibits him from shooting in production anyways. The uppers when you can find them are usually around $400, I would suggest trying to locate a G34 Gen 3 used. It is worth having an extra complete gun for a little more. You have the option of shooting production also, in additon to being able to use that upper on your current frame.

The grip work prohibits him from shooting in production anyways. The uppers when you can find them are usually around $400, I would suggest trying to locate a G34 Gen 3 used. It is worth having an extra complete gun for a little more. You have the option of shooting production also, in additon to being able to use that upper on your current frame.

Yep, this is Limited or L-10 gun now. FYI, one of the reasons I'm looking at the upper swap onto my Gen2 frame is because I live in California, and I've owned this G17 for so long, it's grandfathered in with regards to the magazine capacity laws, so I can shoot it in Limited without having to worry about getting hassled about it.

I do appeciate the comment about getting an entire used G34 just to have the frame as a backup at a match.

Out of curiosity, what's the benefit of the Lone Wolf slide over a stock one?

Tighter tolerances, better fit, cheaper.

Most people change the barrel, firing pin, springs, sights, guiderod anyway so your not buying anything your not going to use. A LW slide is $210. Or $240 for a blind marked version without the stupid wolf caricature on it. Put a KKM barrel in it and run the shit out of it!

Not always. We do have a production grip job that doesn't do any of the take away. As far as I know, they didn't give Shane Coley any grief about it when he shot our Glock in production.

Ha, I suppose. Frankly, I don't know which is more impressive: the grip or the trigger. Would have gone with your sights, also, but didn't have the funds available, especially after picking up the mag extensions. Did I mention how amazing the mag extensions are? Frankly, if I ever purchase another "full Glock" (vs. doing some variation of the upper swap mentioned above) I'll probably just save the pennies and buy a Gen3 directly from TTi. I'm more than happy to do without a Production gun after handling my "new, old Glock."

Appreciate it! (For anybody reading this, Taran Tactical's customer service is top notch because the people who work there are just plain great folks.) I'll be doing some work with the Reagan Library in late June (if not sooner) so may stop by then, if not for the Glock sights then maybe to get a quote on having you guys do a trigger job on my AR. Taran let me dry fire one of his rifles when I stopped into the shop, and I have to admit that's tops on my Xmas list.

Appreciate it! (For anybody reading this, Taran Tactical's customer service is top notch because the people who work there are just plain great folks.) I'll be doing some work with the Reagan Library in late June (if not sooner) so may stop by then, if not for the Glock sights then maybe to get a quote on having you guys do a trigger job on my AR. Taran let me dry fire one of his rifles when I stopped into the shop, and I have to admit that's tops on my Xmas list.

Let us know if you can hear us shooting from up there. Don't peek over that ridge though, it's not safe!

Looking forward to it, and make sure you stop by.

Will stop in for sure-- and I couldn't hear you last time. The Director I work with and I went for a walk and looked over the ridge together because I was curious to try and spot your shop. I could see the road going in, but couldn't see any of your buildings due to a rise. When I drove around to the bottom of the hill to get my gun, there was somebody practicing on the range, and one of you commented that he'd been there awhile. It was windy that day, though, which may have been why I didn't hear anything... or I'm half deaf from shooting too many guns. Will listen up next time, though. (I guess I could call you on my cell and have you go to town with your weapons of choice!) The Director did mention that your neighbor with the dirt track likes to BRAP his motorcycle at the most inopportune times, though. :roflol:

Lone wolf has the front serrations As well and is easier to get than a factory slide

Based on this conversation, I'm giving Lone Wolf (and KKM) some looking into. Previously I was figuring on a straight G34 used upper purchase since I figured the availability wouldn't be a barrier. Looking at the potential of building my own top end from scratch, going the G17L route seems like an even better idea. Of course the price is going up, and up, and up...... But it's good to want things, right?