Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My first match results

G17raider

Cam--Great job on your first IPSC match! I think it's particularly cool that you're shooting L-10. Most junior shooters get addicted to open guns too early in their shooting careers, and never really learn how to handle iron sights.

I see some familiar names on those match results--looks like you have some stiff competition at your club.

My son Sam is 11, shoots Revolver and L-10. Maybe we'll bump into you at some match one of these days!

Best of luck,

Mike

Carmoney,

I thought that too. I shot iron sights for most of my shooting career. I just switched to Open and have already seen a lot of improvements.

The dot takes away the factor of having to align the sights so you can focus on everything else. The dot also lets you track the front sight in a way most poeple never thought possible. ;)

Carmoney,

I thought that too. I shot iron sights for most of my shooting career. I just switched to Open and have already seen a lot of improvements.

The dot takes away the factor of having to align the sights so you can focus on everything else. The dot also lets you track the front sight in a way most poeple never thought possible. ;)

Jake--my point exactly--it's so much easier shooting with that dot! So aren't you glad you learned to shoot on a gun with iron sights first?? :)

My thinking is this:

Shooters who start out on the dot tend not to ever do very well with iron sights, because they are never forced to learn front-sight focus (which is not a natural or instinctive thing--the human brain tends to make us focus our eyes on the objective, i.e. the target). Which is fine if you're only going to shoot Open and maybe Steel Challenge, but if you want to play other games, you sorta have a problem...

If Sam were getting discouraged by shooting an iron-sighted revolver, I'd switch him right away to something else (like probably an open gun of some sort). But he loves the wheelguns, and I think it is teaching him to learn the fundamentals (trigger control and sight picture) early, without developing bad habits. Having only 6 minor-power-factor shots available is also training him to get A-hits, and to carefully think through stage strategy. I figure he'll learn to hose soon enough! :)

This summer when we shot the Iowa Single Stack match, I switched him to a .45 with major loads a couple weeks beforehand--he had no problem whatsoever (except for a tendency to start to reach up with his left hand to "open the cylinder" when it was time to reload!) and brought home a plaque for high D (Lewis scoring). I don't think it would have worked nearly as well to start him on an auto, and then ask him to handle a revolver on demand....

Anyway, I figure there's no wrong way to introduce a young kid to our sport--my theories above are just my own personal thoughts on the topic.

Merry Christmas, everybody!

Mike

I see where you are coming from.

It really doesn't matter what you start with. However, it is in my opinion that the sooner you get training with a dot in your shooting career, the quicker you will improve. The major thing I neglected to mention about having a dot:

The dot shows you exactly what you do wrong and when you do it. Thus the learning curve with iron sights is greatly shortened.

I agree that there is no wrong way to introduce someone to the sport.