Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finally got to shoot my CFE pistol powder reloads

bearleft

Here's my load data :115 gn. plated RMR, 4.7 gn CFE, cci 500 ssp, COL 1.16 ,3.78 crimp. They seemed to shoot a little soft compared to my Freedom munitions remans. I really need a crono!!! My M&P 9 F.S. cycled well. Not sure if I should increase the powder charge or reduce the COL to get a little more snap. Any constructive criticism is welcome. Dan

I would borrow a chrono first thing, before I loaded anymore and/or making any changes. I wouldn't necessarily say you are in danger, but playing with loads especially with a new powder, you should caution to the safe side. Use a chrono.

Edited by Butterpuc

While I definitely agree with Butterpuc on the chrono, according to Hodgdon that load is below min, is it not?

Online data is showing:

CFE Pistol, 115gr LRN@1.10", 4.9-5.4gr

CFE Pistol, 115gr GDHP@1.125", 5.3-5.9gr

While I question the usefulness of using a Speer Gold Dot as the only 115gr 'jacketed' (OK, technically, very thick plated) bullet they give for load data, Xtremes so far have more or less tracked my jacketed loads, so I'd expect at the very least to see you loading in the 5.x grain range, especially as you're loading on the long side.

I actually just picked up two pounds of this powder, and I'm pretty curious as to how it works out for you. I'm planning on shooting it in 9mm, 38 Super, and 45acp. Is there any way to get notifications to my email when other people comment on a thread you have commented. I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this.

I actually just picked up two pounds of this powder, and I'm pretty curious as to how it works out for you. I'm planning on shooting it in 9mm, 38 Super, and 45acp. Is there any way to get notifications to my email when other people comment on a thread you have commented. I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this.

Look at the top of the thread to the right, and click on 'Follow this topic.' You'll get emails when new posts are made..

• 2 weeks later...

I just shot my first test loads with CFE today. I am brand new to reloading and these are my very first reloads. This is also my first post on this forum - so Hello everyone.

CFE was the only powder I could find locally, so I grabbed 4 lbs of it the other day.

I am using MG 124 JHP's and CCI 500 SSP w/ a 1.125 COL. From the load data on Hodgdon's website, the Hornady 125gr HAP seems to be the closest bullet to the MG 124 JHP, so that's what I decided to use for data. Hodgdon lists starting at 4.2gr and max at 4.8gr.

I loaded the following and shot them through a Gen 4 G17:

4.4gr - cycled the gun fine, but felt a little weak.

4.5gr - aslo cycled fine, but wasn't thrilled with the grouping

4.6gr - cycled fine and gave me the tightest group out of the three test loads.

I know my descriptions aren't scientific, but my chrono doesn't arrive in the mail until tomorrow. I will update with the velocities soon as I can. It would be tomorrow if it wasn't supposed to rain all day, so maybe Sunday.

I notice some powder burn down one side of each of the brass. Does this mean I need a little more crimp?

Update to my post above since I'm not sure how to edit it.

MG 124 JHP's, CCI 500 SSP w/ a 1.125 COL. CFE Pistol Powder. I hoped it would have metered a little better on my Dillon powder measure, but it's not bad.

4.4gr - Avg. 931fps

4.5gr - Avg. 957fps

4.6gr - Avg. 980fps

4.7gr - Avg. 987fps

4.8gr - Avg. 999fps - 124pf

All rounds were with a Gen 4 G17. Chrono'd through a Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital at approx. 10ft.

Looks like I will be bumping it up a little more to make 125pf.

As I said previously, these are my first reloads, but hopefully some of this info is helpful regarding this new powder.

B.Low

Similar results with MG 124gr JHP loaded to 1.065", Fiocchi primers, through a 4" barrel PPQ. Slightly faster by ~10FPS at 4.6gr, moving on to 4.8 and 5.0gr for next round of testing. 4.4gr and 4.6gr shot and cycled fine.

iFxPO4V.png

@rtp

Great chart and it tracks pretty close to a load I was testing in my XDm Open Gun. With a 14 lbs Wolff Recoil Spring the empties were dropping only 2 - 3 feet away but they still functioned.

Bullet: Montana Gold 124 gr. JHP

Powder: Winchester WSF 4.7 grs.

Primer: Federal 100

Case: Federal

LOAL: 1.075

Avg. Vel.: 1099.55 fps

ES: 23.04

SD: 9.64

Edited by pbcaster45

@rtp

Great chart and it tracks pretty close to a load I was testing in my XDm Open Gun. With a 14 lbs Wolff Recoil Spring the empties were dropping only 2 - 3 feet away but they still functioned.

Powder: Winchester WSF 4.7 grs.

Primer: Federal 100

LOAL: 1.075

Avg. Vel.: 1099.55 fps

ES: 23.04

SD: 9.64

Are you going to try and load to make major?

Chrono'd the 5.0gr today:

Powder: Hodgdon CFE Pistol 5.0gr

Primer: CCI 500 SPP

COL: 1.125

Avg. Vel.: 1057 fps

ES: 50

SD: 14

131pf

131pf

great info. Thanks! Gives me a starting point for the same bullet through my g34

How was it for accuracy? Have you done any testing for that?

131pf

great info. Thanks! Gives me a starting point for the same bullet through my g34

How was it for accuracy? Have you done any testing for that?

25ft standing with my hands resting on a sandbag, outer circle is 4 inches. That's how I am testing my loads so I don't shoot my chrono :D I'm no bullseye shooter, but it's good enough for me:

cfetgt5gr_zpsd20e0a6a.jpg?t=1399108859

Edited by 73BLow