Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IMR 800x and 7625 and lead 9mm

TBear

Scrounging for powder I came up with a couple of pounds each of the 800x and SR7625. There is a lead bullet manufacturer within a mile of my house, Indiana Bullet Co. He lists 124 gr RN, 125 gr RN and 147 gr FP. Can I use any of these with these powders? On the Hogden site they listed both powders with a 125 gr lead conical nose. Close enough or big no-no?

I haven't loaded in about 10 years and am trying to be cheap but I don't want to be stupid.

The 7625 is an excellent powder for 9mm. 800x will work but you probably won't like it as much. Load data is kind of scarce for SR7625 for the 147 grain bullets. I have some loads I have worked up for all the bullets listed if you are interested. I like the 147's the best in straight lead but this is a matter of opinion.

SR 7625 is one of my favorite 9mm powders. My favorite 9mm load is 3.4gr under a 147 gr lead projectile. I actually use coated lead now but the same charge. Very soft and accurate out of my XDM 5.25. I use to shoot 124 gr plated at 4.1 gr which is a good load also but I switched to 147 gr about a year ago and like them better.

The 7625 is an excellent powder for 9mm. 800x will work but you probably won't like it as much. Load data is kind of scarce for SR7625 for the 147 grain bullets. I have some loads I have worked up for all the bullets listed if you are interested. I like the 147's the best in straight lead but this is a matter of opinion.

If you want to share your 9mm lead loads I would really appreciate it. I haven't had much luck in my search. Thank you for the replies gentlemen.

As stated above for 124/125 cast I used 4.2 to 4.4 @ 1.120 OAL and for the 147 grain bullets 3.3 to 3.6 @ 1.120. I don't know if your are looking for minor PF or are just loading plinking rounds But these are far from the maximum and give about 132 PF in my guns.

Edited by bowenbuilt

Doh! Forgot to say this will be a Production load, so minor. Out of a G19 with a KKM barrel.

Two questions:

"4.4gr of 7625 with a 125gr black bullet @ 1.142 made 131pf and excellent accuracy." Is a black bullet comparable to lead?

" for the 147 grain bullets 3.3 to 3.6 @ 1.120." Is that a flat pointed 147 or does it even matter?

Trying to be a little cautious here as my wife will be shooting these as well... so no need to tick off a spouse who can shoot, right?

Edited by TBear

Doh! Forgot to say this will be a Production load, so minor. Out of a G19 with a KKM barrel.

Two questions:

"4.4gr of 7625 with a 125gr black bullet @ 1.142 made 131pf and excellent accuracy." Is a black bullet comparable to lead?

" for the 147 grain bullets 3.3 to 3.6 @ 1.120." Is that a flat pointed 147 or does it even matter?

Trying to be a little cautious here as my wife will be shooting these as well... so no need to tick off a spouse who can shoot, right?

For the 147 grn. question, yes, it is based on the bullet that Bayou and Blue bullets sell. A RNFP which are coated lead bullets and to my experience run about 40 FPS slower than plain lead. The 125 Black bullet you asked about is also a coated lead bullet. You are safe using the same load data for both plain and coated just remember the coated bullets don't foul your bore or smoke and run a little slower for the same charge of powder.

Edited by bowenbuilt