Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone have trouble firing 1st round?

HEAVY556

I've noticed while shooting many different firearms but especially my 1911 that firing the first shot usually gives me a hick-up. Its mainly when I am focusing on the gun that it happens. Once I get rolling or if I ignore it all together, I don't have a problem. I assumed I was anticipating recoil. Anyone ever have the same problem?

I tend to do that. I used to allow myself to go through that and get it over with. Now I practice breathing and really focus. I don't want to have a situation where that first shot is crucial and I waver (though with the adrenalin rush, I doubt it). I'm taking a class next month for high pressure defensive skills and drawing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I have assumed it has helped me. It doesn't happen as much anymore. I will catch myself doing it once in a while. For some reason I just start paying attention to the trigger and not the sights. I really wonder if its from shooting rifles so much off a bench. The rest is basically doing all the hard work and the only thing left is the trigger.

This doesn't happen to everyone? I'm halfway to 100k on my glock and the first shot is manageable, but always different than the rest of following.

Part of it is the trigger pull, for sure, but there is so much other "stuff" that is happening getting your sights up to target from the draw that I figured the first shot requires a bit more work before I can break into a rythm of hits.

yeah I often take longer on the first shot and I've witnessed others that have it even worse and get a real freeze up on their first shot.

if it's happening to you in matches (like USPSA or IDPA etc) then consider this idea (it works for me). go to the safe area and just do a couple of dry fire shots (not a heap, just a few). aim at something, draw, dry fire a shot. it helps me 'burn off' that first shaky shot of the day in dry fire. and now the 'first' shot of the match is more like my 5th shot... :) it's not always possible to ahve somewhere you can safely and legally dry fire though, so don't push your luck and try and do some dry fire on the line!!!

I tend to do this also. More so now that my dominant eye has a small cataract and I can't see the front sight that well. I'm now trying to switch to my non-dominant eye. At a match I do what BeerBaron does and go to the safe table and do a few dry-fire runs.

I've noticed while shooting many different firearms but especially my 1911 that firing the first shot usually gives me a hick-up. Its mainly when I am focusing on the gun that it happens. Once I get rolling or if I ignore it all together, I don't have a problem. I assumed I was anticipating recoil. Anyone ever have the same problem?

Yes. Sometimes I do a "pretend" shot by just tapping the trigger to clear my brain then go. Edited by bountyhunter