Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mysterious Nook battery drain event

uod

wgnoyes> I totally understand you desire to make the Nook/PractiScore/EzWinScore solution as user friendly as possible. But that is a very tall order when the hardware used for the solution is designed for a purpose other than match scoring. Nooks were not designed with the intent of match scoring. Sure we can hack and manipulate them to do our biding, but that is still a requirement of using that device for our match scoring purpose. Barns & Nobel never intended for the Nook's battery to be customer replaceable. It can obviously be done but its not a monkey proof or customer friendly process. There is no getting around that fact.

Until USPSA or PractiScore starts producing a dedicated match scoring hardware device that is designed to be 100% user friendly for the purpose of match scoring, we are left with what is available. The price of using devices that were not designed with the intent of match scoring is that you DO need to leverage your "propeller head" club resources to get the job done. There is no getting around this fact until USPSA or PractiScore eliminate the need for that level of technical expertise.

Well the most difficult part of rootnscoreit is creating the software card itself. Nothing to be done about that. But in actual use, a rooted nook has superior battery life to ANYTHING else out there, and I've seen nothing yet in my experience that would necessitate cracking one open to replace the battery. The propeller head stuff MUST be beaten down as much as possible, including on the ios side, in order for the system to gain widespread acceptance. Call it a hack all you want and I'm not interested in arguing terminology, but rooting a nook with this method is as painless as I think that sort of process can get, as the end result is a dedicated scoring appliance which runs well regardless of B&N's original intent. You must admit, you had a difficult time initially with practiscore, but it's gotten better.

Edited by wgnoyes

I totally agree that the Nook is currently the best device available for match scoring. That isn't in question. The point I was trying to make is that when we are using devices that were not designed to be serviceable there is no way to service them without needing skills or processes that are beyond what a monkey can do. To make the most of the Nook for PractiScore use you DO need a technology savvy person to manage the equipment. Until there is a consumer friendly device released for the only purpose of match scoring along with solid documentation to support it we are stuck with needing propeller heads getting the job done with what is available.

Don't need to tel me all the infrastructure that's had to be invented for this system, regardless of which platform, apple or android. We've got area 6 running right now and the procedures we used for a regular paper ezws match pale in complexity to a ps match.

FWIW, our Nooks don't all drain evenly. I can charge them fully and leave them on standby (no network) for the weekend and at the end there can be quite a bit of variation.

To start out with, I bought two reconditioned Nooks, then bought the rest new several months later. Neither of the reconditioned Nooks lasts as long as the new ones although one is within about 10%. The other one usually ends up being about 20% lower.

I bought 2 reconditioned nooks... once. One of them was fine. The other wouldn't get past the initial factory setup welcome screen and if you looked at the thing closely, you would eventually notice that the back of it was bowed out like a half inch so that when you set it down, it would wobble and spin, like it had blown up on the inside.

Don't need to tel me all the infrastructure that's had to be invented for this system, regardless of which platform, apple or android. We've got area 6 running right now and the procedures we used for a regular paper ezws match pale in complexity to a ps match.

At one time, pencil and paper was high tech and beyond the understanding of ordinary folks.

Yes, PS does add complexity to scoring a match, but most of the setup is on the front end, when you are not as pressed for time. Using score sheets puts all the pressure toward the end of the match, when you don't have the luxary of time. Also, manually keying in all those score sheets increases the potential for mistakes.

Been buying nooks for our club. Have enough and so far I've had most hold a sufficient charge after a month that they ALMOST didn't need to be charged. I did it anyway just in case. Have not had any great variation in battery drain.