Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buckshot and a 21" m1

Headworked

As Steve posted federal flite control has come to be the default buckshot load for most everyone, HOWEVER!!! the original reason it was used was due to us shooting in IPSC practical shotgun matches

where the use of noshoots was prevalent. here in the US, where the sight of a no shoot on a SG stage, is rare and often easy to deal with without resorting to flitecontrol rounds, the NEED for the extra expense and time to locate then is really not needed. Plus they need to be AIMED when used inside 15yds because the pattern is so tight. Normal 8 -9 pellet buffered buck will do quite well inside 20yds, especially when having a pattern will help rather than a group!! From my patterning notes, FC buck does 8" at 20yds, 6" at 15, and 4'"at 10. Fed LR (nonFC)buck does about 2" larger at the same distances, I use it for most everything and save the FC buck for special needs. BTW, Fiocchi 00 buck was patterned the other day, 1300fps and it provided great patterns out to 15yds or so, I instructed my student at the time to just try and purchase 100rds of FC buck and use the Fiocchi for general use, the 100 rounds of FC should last her years considering the lack of tight no shoots used here in the US.

In short, go buy some good 1300fps or less 00 buck, pattern it and then lay your hands on a small qty. of FC buck and your good to go!!

trapr

I couldn't find any Federal Flite-Control when I was laying in buckshot last year. I ended up with Fiocchi Low Recoil 00 Buck and it worked great in my 18.5" M2 Tactical.

I shot some remington express last night with my 1301.....the kick was not too bad:however, I will be looking for some low recoil buckshot in the future. Thanks for the tip......Uncledoc.

headworked, That is really good non-FC buck shot its what I shoot 98% of the time, and as for chokes I use what ever is in the gun when I need to use buck. if its an all buck stage then whatever choke gave me the best patterns, you should ALWAYS pattern your ammo, don't just take someones word for what to use, that said, in my 1301 I use IC, in my other B shotguns I use LM.

Trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog