Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

41 Rem Mag SA?

Siphon Odesse

Anyone know of a single action in 41 Rem Mag (apart from the Ruger New Blackhawk)?

Ideally, it would be a SA Army or clone type, or Thunderer or Lightning, with birdshead grip and relatively short barrel, but I am not aware of anyone producing such a weapon. I suspect the 41 is a bit on the powerful side, except for the Ruger, of course.

I know.
I am .. odd.

Siphon

Smith & Wesson model 657 & 57 are double action/single action revolvers. Likely not what you are looking for, but fine revolvers. I have taken several deer with my 657, and preferr it way more than my Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 Casull which l shoot 45 long colt in.

Hopalong

I have a Freedom Arms Model 83 in 41 mag. Incredibly accurate and the Bisley grip cuts down on recoil. They are a very strong revo and can withstand some pretty powerful loads. It is my favorite big game hunting firearm. Without a doubt they are worth the price.

I've got a 5-1/2" red hawk in 41 mag I picked up 20+ years ago when I was stationed at Kirtland in Albuquerque. Shoots everything from 170 gr semi-wad utters to some 250 gr cast behemoths. I don't think you're going to find a SA 41 mag other than the Blackhawk or the Freedom Arms. Either of them will handle the cartridge but you can buy the Blackhawk without mortgaging the farm.

.41 and .357 Redhawks have been discontinued for some time, and I think pretty pricey when you do find them.

Years ago, Herters imported SAs chambered in a proprietary .41 caliber, the .401 Powermag. They were probably made by J.P. Sauer. Seems like I read once they could be rechambered in .41 mag.

So if you really want a .41 magnum SA besides a Ruger and enjoy challenging projects, you could hunt up a Herters and possibly get it converted.

It's possible some of the older, obscure imports from Germany or Italy were chambered in .41 magnum, like the Iver Johnson Cattleman or the Virginian Dragoon. Sounds like a fun thing to research. I always thought the Iver Johnsons looked like pretty good revolvers that closely-resembled the Colt New Frontier.

Edit: according to this article, there were some Interarms Virginians made in .41 mag:

http://www.singleactions.com/VADragoons.pdf

Edited by FWSixgunner

I actually own a Herters .401 Powermag. It's a strong and quite accurate gun, but I don't believe it could be converted to .41 Magnum without replacing (or reboring) the barrel, which would be cost-prohibitive. The .401 Powermag uses .40/10mm bullets, which are obviously smaller in diameter than the .410 bullets used for .41 Magnum. So even if you managed to ream the cylinder to accept .41 Magnum ammo, I really don't think you would want to be shooting .410 bullets down a .401 bore.

FWSixgunner, what you may be remembering is that you can make .401 Powermag ammo out of resized .41 brass. My .401 Powermag ammo is made with resized .41 Mag brass, handloaded on a Dillon 550 using a .41 Mag shellplate and .40/10mm dies.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually own a Herters .401 Powermag. It's a strong and quite accurate gun, but I don't believe it could be converted to .41 Magnum without replacing (or reboring) the barrel, which would be cost-prohibitive. The .401 Powermag uses .40/10mm bullets, which are obviously smaller in diameter than the .410 bullets used for .41 Magnum. So even if you managed to ream the cylinder to accept .41 Magnum ammo, I really don't think you would want to be shooting .410 bullets down a .401 bore.

FWSixgunner, what you may be remembering is that you can make .401 Powermag ammo out of resized .41 brass. My .401 Powermag ammo is made with resized .41 Mag brass, handloaded on a Dillon 550 using a .41 Mag shellplate and .40/10mm dies.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, that was decades ago. I only recalled the .41 mag came into play somewhere.

What'd they do for bullets before the 10mm? 38/40?