Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL 650 Help - the ram wont go all the way down

I bought a 650 in 223 because I will be loading that caliber eventually but am only worried about loading 9mm right now. I am working on getting the press set up and need to change to the 9mm caliber conversion. I found a video on youtube so I was following along and it said to raise the ram all the way up and to loosen the screw on the left side of the ram and then lower the ram and remove the large screw in the top center of the round shell holder. After I loosened that set screw the ram won't go all the way down. The triangular piece pointing down that is attached to the ram is hitting the black piece attached to the press pointing up and won't move.

What do I need to do to fix this?? Thank you in advance for any help!

Lmao nice one! I was just going to post that I figured it out and it was exactly what usmc90 said. It took me way too long to figure that one out. Much appreciated!

So is the only purpose of that set screw to hold the bolt that goes in the top in place?

Remove the set screw from the side of the ram then lower it and remove the center bolt.

No need to remove it. Just back it off about a full turn. Plenty loose and still within the circumference of the ram.

Lmao nice one! I was just going to post that I figured it out and it was exactly what usmc90 said. It took me way too long to figure that one out. Much appreciated!

So is the only purpose of that set screw to hold the bolt that goes in the top in place?

Yes that set screw keeps the shell plate bolt from loosening up.