Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M2 - which model? Pistol grip?

bmillios

PISTOL GRIP M1/M2 reliability/recoil.

I know this works...

Do NOT lighten bolt

Use Taran Tac reduce recoil spring.

Use Taran Tac carrier.

Use Limbsaver "Airtech" (needs some fitting, pm me if you need help).

Shoot =>1145+ fps 1-1/8 oz. I shoot 1200 1-1/8 oz.

Also. My buddy was having problems with his 30" PG-M1 with a lightened bolt. Runs perfect now with the Taran spring and carrier.

RKI

Is the taran tac carrier not lightened? It is the first item it list on the features for the carrier on his website. Also how would a reduced recoil spring help with a cycling problem resulting from pressure on the recoil tube... seems that would exaggerate the problem to me.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know this works...

Do NOT lighten bolt

Use Taran Tac carrier.

Also. My buddy was having problems with his 30" PG-M1 with a lightened bolt. Runs perfect now with the Taran spring and carrier.

RKI

Is the taran tac carrier not lightened? It is the first item it list on the features for the carrier on his website. Also how would a reduced recoil spring help with a cycling problem resulting from pressure on the recoil tube... seems that would exaggerate the problem to me.

SHELL carrier. NOT bolt carrier. Edited above.

Not sure where you are going with the second question. This set up works.

Oh it's worse... Or it was for me... Strong sharp recoil, and difficulty transitioning from aerial targets to stationary ones and back to aerial

I talked with "Head Worked" and he has very-very lightened bolt carrier. I think that is causing the recoil issue for that particular M2.

I know this works...

Do NOT lighten bolt

Use Taran Tac carrier.

RKI

SHELL carrier. NOT bolt carrier. Edited above.

Not sure where you are going with the second question. This set up works.

You talking about shell lifter?? Or what is the shell carrier?

I think just about everyone is calling it the lifter but that is besides the point. Mine is welded up by accurate iron so I guess it is actually heavier than factory.

The second part of my "question" was how would a reduced recoil spring possibly help an issue being caused by pressure on the recoil spring housing... That would seem like it would make the spring binding problem worse...

All this doesn't even matter at all unless I have an issue with the new pg stock tomorrow... Will update after range test, I plan to shoot a few hundred rounds of fed bulk pack ammo and the slugs I use and to really torque on the grip to see if I can make it not cycle properly...

Gondo,

When I was assembling my Pistol grip stock on the bench, the torque I applied to the nylock nut had the most effect on tube bind. If I over-tightened the stock nut, the buffer would bind up at bottom of of the tube, and bolt group would not retun to battery. I backed the nut off slightly and everything freed up nicely. I then retorqued to a lower amount, and all functioned well.

As Roxy stated, my bolt carrier group was lightened a half ounce more than the Taran Tactical BCG, and for me the PG recoil was immense, even after fitting a gel pad and going w lighter loads.

I shot it with the comfortech stock this past weekend at midwest regional in park city ky and it did great, So it's going to stay this way..

Edited by Headworked

Gondo,

When I was assembling my Pistol grip stock on the bench, the torque I applied to the nylock nut had the most effect on tube bind. If I over-tightened the stock nut, the buffer would bind up at bottom of of the tube, and bolt group would not retun to battery. I backed the nut off slightly and everything freed up nicely. I then retorqued to a lower amount, and all functioned well.

As Roxy stated, my bolt carrier group was lightened a half ounce more than the Taran Tactical BCG, and for me the PG recoil was immense, even after fitting a gel pad and going w lighter loads.

I shot it with the comfortech stock this past weekend at midwest regional in park city ky and it did great, So it's going to stay this way..

thanks for the input, so was there anything i need to know about the shell "carrier" or were we talking about the bolt carrier the whole time? Sooo basically you are suggesting just snugging the nylock nut down... i dont feel like it can move much even if it is just snug, that nylon really keeps it in place.

Edited by gondo

Your video looks ok. I guess there were some loading issues off camera? The shell carrier is called lifter by some. As in welded lifter. You can use a lightened bolt. Use a lightened recoil spring. That nylon nut shouldn't move. And yes just snug it up. I put some pictures up a few years ago, maybe look under M1 Super 90, of carriers and bolts side by side. Different welding, different lightening. Some do their own by looking at pictures and it doesn't work out. Tons of posts on a lot of threads for M1 S 90 already. They are just getting repeated for M2. So expand searches for M1 Super 90 and you will get enough reading for Sunday morning. Good luck.

well 225 rounds of fed bulk pack 1145 11/8 7.5 3 dram ran perfect and 10 of my slugs mixed in too

cons: -takes longer to dismount and mount for weakhand quadloading

-safety is harder to reach

Pros: -feels great on my wrist

-sights are right there every time

- splits cut in half, probably due to confidence more than anything

concerns: when i used to get new golf clubs i would hit them great for a while then the new would wear off and i would suck with them again... hope this isnt one of those cases

compared to the qualifiers i shot at the last match this might be twice as fast, i know this is not fast for some of you but for me it is light years ahead of where i was at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK4y0_7RMAA&list=UUvP2sQvUaSs1EGXeH8EikHw

• 2 weeks later...

Well this is still going well, another 200 rounds through it today and still no malfunction. I quad load and have been doing Keith gracias load 12 drill for quite some time without breaking 14 seconds. Beat an 11 second par time today so under ten is getting close, I'm going to attribute it to getting back on the sights faster and weapon manipulation because my loading hasn't got any faster.