Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blown .40 case in Chamber of XDm 4.5 barrel

bluedog14

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and am looking for some help with removing a stuck case out of the chamber of my SA XDm .40 S&W 4.5''. The end of the brass case blew back and separated from the rest of the brass which is still stuck in my chamber. No other harm was done to the gun or me. But about 2/3 of the brass case is stuck in my barrel. I have tried cerrosafe multiple times with no luck. Any input would be appreciated.

Bluedog14

If you know some one who has a .40 chamber reamer that will get it out, it will probably start turning once the cutters bit into the case. Some have been able to pull them out with picks(like dental picks but heavier duty).

Your extractor is probably no good, with a case failure that is almost a given. It can't be bent back because it won't last very long, the metal has been stressed.

Rich

It's sometimes possible to remove a separated casing by first oiling it, and allowing the oil to soak between the case and chamber a bit, then run a brass cleaning brush into it and reverse before going all the way through. May be worth a try before reaming.

Guy

I like the idea of soaking the barrel in Kroil a while too. Is it possible you could reach in with a right angle sharp tip pick and hook the muzzle end and pull rearward?

Another thought might be a wooden dowel of the right diameter you could jam into it and twist. Home depot sells a lot of dowels.

Edited by bountyhunter

could also try a .45 cal bronze brush insert chamber end and force it till the front of the brush,first few bristles, gets in front of chamber and rest are in the case body and pull back sometimes the brush will grab the case walls firmer than the case walls grab the chamber and it will pop out.

not sure if freezing it first would help though as metals will shrink and expand at different rates but that helps when I get rifle brass stuck in a resizing die so maybe that could help before you use the brush

I'd try this sequence maybe...

1: Kroil

2: freezer overnight (bagged so as to not Kroil andy food)

3: bronze brush and pull while still frozen