Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

8.6.2.1 Coaching or Assistance

sfchorn

I didn't want to highjack a different thread that drifted slightly into "finger" or "muzzle" warnings - some ROs give them, some don't. Each group has their reasons.

This made me think about some things I've done in the past with brand new competitors at their very first local match. You've all seen them. They are the ones with the wide eyes and scared look on their face.

8.6.2.1 states that: "When approved by the Range Officer, competitors at Level I matches may, without penalty, receive whatever coaching or assistance they request."

When I am ROing a brand new competitor who seems nervous and unsure, I tell them "USPSA rules allow for coaching if you request it. Would you like to request it now?" If they say yes, I tell them that I will talk to them during their run.

I will say things during the COF, such as "gently squeeeeeeeeze the trigger" if they are having trouble with that 15 yard popper, or "relax - you are doing fine" or "slow down and focus on your front sight to get good hits". I will also give them finger and muzzle reminder if I think they are getting ready to commit a safety infraction.

I DO NOT compromise safety. I will call STOP on any safety violation I witness, and it will result in a DQ. Period.

Whenever I have done this, it has been universally well received. The competitor has the appreciated being helped through what is undoubtedly a confusing and intimidating situation.

These folks are in no danger of winning the match. They always end up at the bottom of the stats sheet, so I'm not impacting match standings. I do feel like I'm providing a positive experience that may make it more likely this person will continue and grow in our sport. On second and subsequent matches, I do not offer the assistance. If asked, I tell them they may request it, but it will surely slow them down to take the time to listen to assistance. I've never had anyone ask for it anyway.

Having said that, I'm sure there are some that will say that I am rationalizing a bad practice, that this is outside the duties and responsibilities of an RO, that the only things that should come out of my mouth are approved range commands, or even that I am influencing an outcome.

What say you? Good or bad? Angel or demon?

I think it is fine. I have done it. Not major coaching but things like walking them through the make ready process (especially for turn and draw or gun retrieval starts) and help them through the ULSC (standing up from kneeling before holstering etc.)

If they are brand new I think it is a helpful way to keep a nervous and inexperienced person from doing something dumb/potentially dangerous.

Edited by leas327

I've done it, too. It helps new shooters feel less intimidated and more likely to keep at it. :cheers:

I've also tried to make sure I talk to new shooters during the walkthrough about ways to approach the stage, and especially where to watch for DQ'able offenses like breaking the 180 coming around a wall, during a right-to-left reload (for a righty), etc.

I say good -- it's a terrific way to keep newbies coming back. On my first stage at my first USPSA match, I got to the end, and Dave Marques said to me "Carefully swing the muzzle over there and engage that target......

Saved me from an FTE -- though hit factor wise it took so long, that it might have been better to take the penalties......

But he wanted to be encouraging, and I learned a lot about to treat new competitors right there....

Our club assigns mentors to go with new shooters through their first match. All our RO's know the mentor is coaching the new shooter and allow them to fulfill their duty. Since implementation of this practice two years ago our new shooter retention rate is about 95% and those who choose to pursue a different shooting sport have always thanked us for the experience. Yes, it means our mentor is not going to have their best match so these duties are rotated but the new friends and shooters are more than worth it.