Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SX2/SLP Help - Lifter intermittently not lifting

jh3g

All,

I've searched everything I can think of, so I apologize if this has been answered before.

I did mild loading port modifications to my SX2. The first match after putting it all together, I had 3 failures to feed, where the shell would just sit on the lifter, but the lifter would not lift. If I gave the lifter a push with my finger, the lifter would lift and the action would cycle.

I don't think that any of my modifications would have affected this. I broke the edges of the magazine tube junction, and did a pretty mild loading port opening job.

Could this be related to the lifter spring needing to be replaced?

I'm scratching my head on this one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Josh

Did you ensure all shavings/metal debris were cleaned out of the gun?

How many rounds through the gun?

Did you take apart the trigger group at all? That little carrier dog and dog spring assembly have a nifty little shape to them and how they are oriented that you want to maintain.

Did you ensure all shavings/metal debris were cleaned out of the gun?

How many rounds through the gun?

Did you take apart the trigger group at all? That little carrier dog and dog spring assembly have a nifty little shape to them and how they are oriented that you want to maintain.

Gun had about 500rnds when I bought it, I've put about 300 through it with no issues until recently.

The trigger group has never been apart.

When I did the loading port work, I pulled the carrier latch assembly out, and I cleaned everything multiple times before reassembly. The only shavings I see are a little bit of brass from shooting.

Question: When I reassembled the carrier latch, I put the latch spring (the cone-shaped one with the red paint) in its' foreward most position. It looks like there are two potential positions for it on the back of the carrier latch. Which position is the spring supposed to be in for the 2-3/4" only guns?

Edited by ironeyes

800 rounds......getting close to the general timing of 1000 rounds to replace the carrier dog spring as mentioned earlier.

Exploded diagram:

http://www.brownells.com/schematics/Winchester-/Super-X-Model-2-sid353.aspx

Latch carrier spring goes towards the back as I recall it, but I'd have to look at it again. I can take a picture tonight if that helps.

Edited by AustinWolv

Latch carrier spring goes towards the back as I recall it. I can take a picture tonight if that helps.

I just ordered two glock extractor springs to put in place of the existing carrier dog spring, as no one seems to have the carrier dog spring in stock.

If you could please confirm the placement of the carrier latch spring it would be greatly appreciated.

Yes the conical spring goes under the backside of the bolt catch ... It should be on the rearward (stock side) of the latch... If you do the extractor spring setup then cut 2-3 coils off of one spring only... I would also order a replacement carrier dog spring guide to have on hand. This is the pin that the glock springs will surround.

Yes the conical spring goes under the backside of the bolt catch ... It should be on the rearward (stock side) of the latch... If you do the extractor spring setup then cut 2-3 coils off of one spring only... I would also order a replacement carrier dog spring guide to have on hand. This is the pin that the glock springs will surround.

Thank you for taking a look. Hopefully moving the carrier latch spring to the rear position and replacing the lifter dog spring will sort this out. Any other maintenance items on the SX2 that should be done regularly? I'm replacing the magazine tube spring as well.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Carrier dog spring and mag tube spring every 1000 rounds.

Every 2000, I'd replace the carrier latch spring and shell stop spring.

I clean every ~1000 shells. I use FireClean across the board so it stays slick and doesn't gum up compared to other stuff I've used. For my gun, very, very, very little lube for the piston. Be it right or wrong, my gun runs. The time it hasn't has been due to my hardheadness to use a certain cheap, available shell that *my* gun just doesn't like to feed. Lesson there is to suck it up and spend the extra $1 or so per box for ammo that runs, and/or try other ammo to see what runs reliably.

Don't need to clean out the action spring tube out every time you clean. A couple times per year has been enough, but depends how much you shoot and what lube you are using too......JMO.

Keep a backup piston available. I bought the sporting clays piston off Brownells to keep in my range bag in case the FN light piston ever breaks on me. Others have had theirs break......I haven't. {shrug} All I've run is 2.75 and 3dr, 1 1/8oz stuff and low recoil slugs in this gun, so guess we'll see, as mine *should* have broken by now according to others. I don't subscribe to the sealed piston route that some have gone. There is a thread about that from a couple weeks ago if you page back a bit.

There is a good list about polishing up the tubes by DocMcG.

I'm sure those with more expertise/experience than I can offer more.

Well, I've replaced the carrier dog spring with 2 OEM glock extractor springs with 3 coils cut off (2 coils weren't quite enough, the spring was binding at full compression), as well as shell stop and carrier latch springs. Running dummy rounds through the action, I haven't gotten and hang-ups, so I have my fingers crossed.

Off to polish the mag tube and replace the spring with a fresh one from Nordic

AustinWolv Gotta agree on the FireClean. If there is a gun that could benefit from FireClean, it's the SX2/SLP.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

• 9 years later...

I am in the process of rebuilding & tuning up my SX2.

What is o-ring part called that is in the barrel gas housing?

I cannot find anything called a seal or o-ring etc... on parts lists or diagrams.

Mine is 20 years old and a bit chewed up.

I think I have an early model before the gold colored ring was added to protect the mag tube from gases. And the temperature protective coating on my mag tube is flaking off in some places.

Any solutions other than replace it?

Also where is the best source of parts for SLP/SX2/Browning gold parts these days

Edited by sierra77mk
Addtions

• 2 weeks later...

For the sake of others' I'll answer my own questions.

A call to Browning answered everything. The browning Gold is basically the same beast with a modified shell lifter etc...

Part # B11163341 The O-ring is called the Forearm spacer ring. Which customer service said is a very bad description of what It does.

The gold ring around the mag tube was added for a couple of years and then removed. "that has come and gone" was how the CSR described it. And he said the flaking of the protective coating is nothing to be concerned about.

Best source? Browning/Winchester parts department! Shipped the same day and were Way cheaper than brownells or Midwest Gun Works.

FNH? Well I never got thru to a human in the parts dept. Always a recording with no returned call.

Part # B111628311 Carrier Dog Spring. This gets interesting.

The Carrier Dog Spring story...

I removed the Glock spring hack that I used for a couple of years. They had collapsed to an OAL of 1.22" and had become unreliable. Works in a pinch but I won't do it again.

A new Winchester spring is 1.35" and the wire gauge is .024"

The new Browning spring measures 1.95" and is .020 gauge.

So the Browning spring is 1/2 inch LONGER than the winchester spring which made installation on the carrier dog spring guide a chore. Used hemostats to clamp and slide and that worked well. Longer spring with smaller wire so It does not give any coil binding.

Springs are still priced at 2013 prices, $1.25. I ordered 5 of them.

In addition to the O-ring and carrier dog spring, I ultrasonic cleaned my piston.

Tested a box of light handloads, buck and factory trap and ran fine with all the changes; but the Carrier dog spring was 90% of my reliability problems at my last 2 matches. The lifter just has more snap with fresh springs.