Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem with .38SC STI Big Stick

Ssanders224

Figured I would see if anyone else has seen this problem.

I have a 170mm STI mag that runs PERFECT with TTI spring and follower and a factory plastic or aluminum STI basepad.

HOWEVER, I put a TTI 4G2 basepad on it, and it shalt shakers every time. Not only will a round stick beside the follower and lock the mag up, but I usually find one round that slipped by and got UNDER the follower when I pull the mag apart.

Any thoughts here?

It doesn't reduce capacity. It's very thin molded plastic. It helps keep the follower from catching on the gap between the base pad and the magazine tube.

Well, given its design, it WILL reduce capacity some... but probably not enough to matter. Especially if it fixes the problem.

TT is Bolens right? They will flip in the bottom if STI mags unless they are tuned. Some tuners actually extend the ribs or modify them to keep the bolen from flipping. That's why grams guts are better for unmodified STI tubes.

Edited by Sarge

TT is Bolens right? They will flip in the bottom if STI mags unless they are tuned. Some tuners actually extend the ribs or modify them to keep the bolen from flipping. That's why grams guts are better for unmodified STI tubes.

I have tried Grams spring and follower as well.

Same problem occurs with the TTI basepad.

Sarge is right though, I'm pretty sure the problem occurs when the follower gets below the ribs. There is enough clearance to let a round get by the follower, or worse, get stuck beside it. It happends with both the TTI guts and the Grams guts.

The Arredondo insert might cure this? but I've never seen anyone using one.

I haven't needed the insert in 40, just 9mm and 38 super, sometimes.

Just for you Ssanders, I measured a couple of the inserts....they take up between .035 and .045 at the bottom :)

Edited by kmca

So, if I'm looking at the inserts correctly, they kind of "extend" the ribs in the magazine, correct?

Yes. I suppose, if you're worried about the .040, you could cut the bottom out :)

I have tried Grams spring and follower as well.

Same problem occurs with the TTI basepad.

The only way I can get my grams to salt shake is to load them full and drop them on concrete. There is just enough room that the shock will compress the spring just enough to cause it. But I can't slam them in the gun near hard enough to make it happen. Then again, I only load to 28 in 9mm. They will take 29 but they are so tight they rarely work perfectly. Not worth the extra round.