Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for quietest in ear hearing protection

Haraise

Just looking for the absolute quietest. Don't care if I need to get molded or custom or whatever. Right now I'm using -34 dB ear plugs, and it'd be great to go a lot further. Always have to double up on ear pro, and it'd be really nice to be able to go without double sometimes, and have it super quiet while on. Noise sensitive.

Here's what I posted in another thread like this a few weeks ago.....

If you do get a custom pair made and you want the maximum noise reduction, tell the maker to put the stopper as far in your ear as you can stand. Tell them to not stop until you tell them to. Also, when they are injecting the material, hold your jaw to the position right about where your ears pop and hold it there as long as you can while the material sets. That opens your ear canal a little bit larger than normal. It will make a huge difference.

Just be warned, they will work really well. I cannot RO or take score with my plugs made like this. I take them out and use my electronic muffs after I shoot.

My wife used to make custom plugs. I was her guinea pig for a while. We learned a few little tricks along the way.

I have a couple of pairs made this way. The canals on them are really long. I have a pair with a lanyard that I wear while shooting pistol and a pair without that I use when shooting shotgun or rifle.

If you are talking electronic ear protection which will provide the ability to hear conversations, try Nitro Ear. By no means are they cheap, but to what extent to you want to go to protect your hearing?

If you don't need to hear scores or conversations, as already mentioned double plug with foam and a set of muffs.

BC

Those nitro pros are only rated to 25-30 NRR.

And the rest of the reply doesn't really make sense. My original post says that I 'double up.' That would be foam and muffs. Double hearing protection.

To what extent? To the extent that I'm looking for even more than -37 dB, as I said above.

37 is definitely the best I've seen out there, thank you. Anyone find a higher reduction number?

I don't know if 37 is even a legit number, and I really doubt anything higher is physically possible, without encasing your entire head. The attenuation of sound traveling along your skull / jawbone is probably around 40 db +/-, so even if you were born without most ear anatomy, you wouldn't have better than that.

Edited by ummm

Even the passive Pro 37's are listed at $135.

True. But they work! If you don't want to spend that much, get a set of Howard Leight Smart Fit ear plugs and a pair of Howard Leight Impact Sport muffs. Depending on how much noise you have, use one or the other or both.